Thread: DIY Shooting Bench?

Default DIY Shooting Bench?

I need a bench for sighting in rifles at my place and was considering building something similar to this picture. It will be mobile for the time being until I finalize my range location and pour a concrete pad.
    Any pros, cons, or recommendations?

We have one like that at our club and I throw a lead sled on it and roll

Lead sled?? Pull your panties up nancy!

OP, the bench will be fine.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

I can tell you from experience wasps will like to nest underneath it and wont be pleased when you cut loose with the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    Lead sled?? Pull your panties up nancy!

OP, the bench will be fine.
    The lead sled isn't because of recoil

I built a couple that aren't nearly has over-built as the one pictured. If you need to move them around, that one's going to give you a hernia.

I have a couple that are three legged so they won't rock. They are plenty steady enough and I can pick them up by myself. I'll try to remember to take a picture of one this weekend.

It's really redneck but for a really portable bench, an ironing board makes a decent bench. Adjustable height, ambidextrous, light weight and folds flat for transportation. I've used them for hunting big fields a bunch of times.

vq17hmr.JPG
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 07-18-2018 at 03:36 PM.

heavy was my first thought....maybe do just the 3-legged table and keep chairs separate...would help from shifting the table when moving around in the seat.....a wood spool could work good with some notches cut out

Hood of the truck has always worked for me. You people will overthink anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I built a couple that aren't nearly has over-built as the one pictured. If you need to move them around, that one's going to give you a hernia.

I have a couple that are three legged so they won't rock. They are plenty steady enough and I can pick them up by myself. I'll try to remember to take a picture of one this weekend.

It's really redneck but for a really portable bench, an ironing board makes a decent bench. Adjustable height, ambidextrous, light weight and folds flat for transportation. I've used them for hunting big fields a bunch of times.

This does seem over built now that I am looking at pictures on google. I like the idea of 3 legged if it is stable and lighter weight.

Quote Originally Posted by cleancutredneck View Post
    heavy was my first thought....maybe do just the 3-legged table and keep chairs separate...would help from shifting the table when moving around in the seat.....a wood spool could work good with some notches cut out
    Interesting idea. Found this pic.

I have one similar to that and its made of 1" boards on the top. I wouldn't want to move anything made out of 2x6's. Go 2x4 and decking boards if you mimic the picture.

ETA: don't attach the seat to the spool and it would be easy to move around.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 07-18-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
    I can tell you from experience wasps will like to nest underneath it and wont be pleased when you cut loose with the first round.
    Take window screen and staple it around the bottom to prevent access to the cracks underneath where they would normally nest. Saves ya some problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my bench. The pipes are for a beach umbrella and a fishing dip net to catch brass.

2018-07-21 10.52.03.jpg

Target frames made from T posts. The legs slide into 1.5" pvc pipes hammered flush into the ground so I can pull them up to mow.

2018-07-21 13.52.53.jpg
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 07-21-2018 at 07:03 PM.

I bought a Herters table last year that is mobile and light. Look it up on cabelas. I paid 129 when it was on sale. Works great.
    Go Tigers!!!

The table design is great but not mobile. We have the same design but extended it 12” more. And wasps do love it.

Quote Originally Posted by cleancutredneck View Post
    As CCR said, keep seat separate
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkiller View Post
    I bought a Herters table last year that is mobile and light. Look it up on cabelas. I paid 129 when it was on sale. Works great.
    This. I have the Caldwell version. Don’t know why you would build with relatively inexpensive, very portable and stable versions available at the sto.
    Carolina Counsel

Net for brass. Genius. If you didn’t want to build one for now, MTM Case-Guard makes a high low shooting table that pretty solid.