Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROKU Question

Default ROKU Question

I am new to this so
    I have been paying TWC (Spectrum) $180 a month for only TV and Wi-fi ($57 internet and $123 TV), includes three boxes.
    I have seen it discussed on here and my kids brought me up to speed on ROKU.

Thought I would see what its about, so I just went up to Wallyworld and bought the $29 Roku device w/remote, just to test it on one bedroom TV.

Unplugged Cable box, plugged up the Roku device and amazed at how easy set up was and how digitally clear it is. Downloaded the Spectrum app on the Roku screen and damn near have every channel we normally watch plus all the locals and ESPN, plus a gazillion more thru Roku TV, and my Netflix is right there now. Pretty amazed.

I am going to give Spectrum their three boxes back and tell them to drop my TV package and leave just the wi-fi.

Bill will go from $180 to about $57 or so, I have no issue paying for anything else I need to subscribe to. My question is, how can I get the SEC Network?
    Can't find it when browsing around.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-17-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Its an add on with one of the sports packages. I think it’s about $5/month.

I pay for a ESPN app on my phone its $4.99 month. U can get it and stream to your tv
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Sling TV

Did PlayStation Vue for a while. Dropped them. I'm using Hulu live now and like it. It also includes the local channels.

Sling sucks for watching live sports. The feed is choppy. I did a speed test on my internet and it was 30mps so I don’t think it was a connection issue it’s just the nature of the beast.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

We just moved into a new house and we are streaming everything. After negotiating with Spectrum, they let me choose 35 channels plus locals (emailed me a menu and let me pick), and I have 100 mbps internet. It actually tested out at 88 mbps over wifi, which is strong. I have never "streamed" other than Netflix. I hooked up 3 Roku's yesterday, and so far, I couldn't be happier. Fast/clear picture, and more channels than I want to watch.

My bill is supposed to be $88 plus tax per month. At the old house I was paying Directv $160+ and Spectrum $65 for internet. They also gave me an upgraded modem, so that if 100mbps isn't enough, they can boost me to business class at 300 mbps for an extra $20.

Hell, my wife even complemented me on it last night
    Last edited by trkykilr; 07-18-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    We just moved into a new house and we are streaming everything. After negotiating with Spectrum, they let me choose 35 channels plus locals (emailed me a menu and let me pick), and I have 100 mbps internet. It actually tested out at 88 mbps over wifi, which is strong. I have never "streamed" other than Netflix. I hooked up 3 Roku's yesterday, and so far, I couldn't be happier. Fast/clear picture, and more channels than I want to watch.

My bill is supposed to be $88 plus tax per month. At the old house I was paying Directv $160+ and Spectrum $65 for internet. They also gave me an upgraded modem, so that if 100mbps isn't enough, they can boost me to business class at 300 mbps for an extra $20.

$88 for that package is strong

My bill is supposed to be $88 plus tax per month.
    I did something very similar, except they gave me one cable box and 100 channels for $89 and the highest guaranteed internet speed. HOWEVER, Spectrum has no contracts which mean they can and do change your "deal" often and quietly. All was well and then this month it went from $89 to $108. I have not had time to call them to fugre WTF, but I will. BTW, we also have Sling, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. I know people like ROKU but AppleTV is far superior even with the additional cost. Lastly, I find myself watching YouTube as much as anything. They have channels and content like you would not believe and I am not talking about nutshots and bumfights either. Give YouTube a shot. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Amazon Fire TV Device
    ATT Fiber 100mbps = $50/month
    Directv Now App = $10/month for 60 channels (wife has an AT&T phone and they credit you $25/month)
    "Free HBO"
    Netflix $11
    Amazon Prime Video with Prime Account

The days of having equipment installed, renting it and paying too much are on their way out.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    I did something very similar, except they gave me one cable box and 100 channels for $89 and the highest guaranteed internet speed. HOWEVER, Spectrum has no contracts which mean they can and do change your "deal" often and quietly. All was well and then this month it went from $89 to $108. I have not had time to call them to fugre WTF, but I will. BTW, we also have Sling, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. I know people like ROKU but AppleTV is far superior even with the additional cost. Lastly, I find myself watching YouTube as much as anything. They have channels and content like you would not believe and I am not talking about nutshots and bumfights either. Give YouTube a shot. MG
    That no contract deal is a double edged sword. I can take my business to YouTube TV or Directv Now with the click of a button. I told their representative that if my bill ever goes up $1 without notice, I will cancel and move my business.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

... if 100mbps isn't enough, they can boost me to business class at 300 mbps for an extra $20.

If you get Business Class and don't call me I will cut you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    If you get Business Class and don't call me I will cut you.
    Noted

Typically we're pretty good about honoring the promo. On residential most promos are good for a year, then price goes up. Most people call, get through to Retention and get a new promo. It's vicious cycle.

On Business Class we give a price and in a year it goes and stays there indefinitely and it's a very competitive price. For instance 100M (which is enough to handle the internet needs for probably 90%+ small business customer) price is $45, then goes up $15 at month 13. So $60 for a 100M internet, I feel, is very competitive.

Resi is a whole different ball game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Typically we're pretty good about honoring the promo. On residential most promos are good for a year, then price goes up. Most people call, get through to Retention and get a new promo. It's vicious cycle.

On Business Class we give a price and in a year it goes and stays there indefinitely and it's a very competitive price. For instance 100M (which is enough to handle the internet needs for probably 90%+ small business customer) price is $45, then goes up $15 at month 13. So $60 for a 100M internet, I feel, is very competitive.

Resi is a whole different ball game.
    How much is 300? I want to be able to feel the damn wifi when I walk in the door

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I am new to this so
    I have been paying TWC (Spectrum) $180 a month for only TV and Wi-fi ($57 internet and $123 TV), includes three boxes.
    I have seen it discussed on here and my kids brought me up to speed on ROKU.

Thought I would see what its about, so I just went up to Wallyworld and bought the $29 Roku device w/remote, just to test it on one bedroom TV.

Unplugged Cable box, plugged up the Roku device and amazed at how easy set up was and how digitally clear it is. Downloaded the Spectrum app on the Roku screen and damn near have every channel we normally watch plus all the locals and ESPN, plus a gazillion more thru Roku TV, and my Netflix is right there now. Pretty amazed.

I am going to give Spectrum their three boxes back and tell them to drop my TV package and leave just the wi-fi.

Bill will go from $180 to about $57 or so, I have no issue paying for anything else I need to subscribe to. My question is, how can I get the SEC Network?
    And when you cancel your cable, NO MORE Spectrum APP
    Bluetick

Keep in mind if you disconnect the TV the channels you can access on the Spectrum TV app will change, if not go away at all. The Spectrum app is a convenience product that allows you to watch the channel you have at home, while you're in another room at the house that does not have a TV, or while away fro the house.

There ain't much programming worth watching on the SEC Network anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How much is 300? I want to be able to feel the damn wifi when I walk in the door
    Gimme your zip code. Depending on where you are the middle of the road speed might be 400M by now.

We should be offering the Gig speed here soon. Already got it many markets not in South Carolina. We're always last to get the cool stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 07-18-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Someone explain why I am paying windstream $110/month for 20mbps?