Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer

Default Deer

deer 8 point.jpgdecent onedeer nose.jpgwhat would cause this issue with its nose?deer leg.jpgleg injury on this one I guess
    The price is firm.

That second deer needs some sinus surgery stat!

No cameras out yet but saw a shooter bounce across the road at the farm today. He had impressive height and mass for mid July.

Scarring build up from an attempted head shot maybe?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I just thought he was a Roman.

last pic looks like some EHD hoof symptoms...might just be the pic.

Open wound on his hoof. Nematodes swam straight up his leg into his horns.

First and third pictures look like he made you.

Putting cameras up this time of year will have you all messed up. I quit doing it because I never see the ones I get on camera. The best advise I can give someone with a big buck on camera this time of year is don't expect to ever see him and if you do it won't be where that camera was. They do a 180 once the velvet starts coming off. I like to start putting my cameras out in September.

Is that a stingray draped over his nose?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Too much "deercaine" for the second one....

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Putting cameras up this time of year will have you all messed up. I quit doing it because I never see the ones I get on camera. The best advise I can give someone with a big buck on camera this time of year is don't expect to ever see him and if you do it won't be where that camera was. They do a 180 once the velvet starts coming off. I like to start putting my cameras out in September.
    This is false. It have something to do with the way you are hunting the area (entering/exiting the property) vs. the deer doing a 180. Just a thought

I agree with this to some degree... Most adult bucks are going to stay put until late September. After that, yes dominant deer are going to make others move and the size of the property you hunt will have a big influence on whether you have the opportunity to see that buck again.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

This is a new place I'm hunting for the first time this year,its a typical pine plantation with white and red oaks left along the creeks and draws.there are alot of very deep gulleys on this property along the creeks.unfortunately that's the only place where there are hardwoods.but I cant complain,I've always been lucky to have places to hunt for free without leasing or joining a club.nothing wrong with that but if I have a choice I prefer to have private property to myself with a family member or my daughter.this place is roughly 150 acres,like I said almost all pines.it may sound strange but I dont have alot of experience hunting pine plantations.i always have been spoiled and had great oakwoods to hunt.i know there are alot of deer here but they are all over corn at this point.i just wanted to get an idea of what was on the property.i could feed some during the season but I'm too old to carry corn on all the time.its more work than fun.any advice on hunting these pines would be appreciated.i assume they are eating the green undergrowth now but not sure what they browse on in winter.pines just look barren to me.like I said im just not used to it.i know alot of nice deer are killed in pine plantations around.
    The price is firm.

Mark my words....neither you nor anyone else will kill that nice buck in your first pic off of that 170 acres. He will be gone come September. Do not get hung up on "hunting that buck". On the bright side....there will be other deer which you will have no early season pics of move onto your property at the time he leaves. I'm not saying you won't kill a big buck, you will....it will just be a different buck. I hunt 400 acres of family land and been hunting it for years. We never kill the nice bucks we get on camera early. We do however kill a few young bucks with screwed up racks that we get one camera early. We kill 2 or 3 good bucks every year off our place and where they come from...who knows....they just show up.

It sounds to me like rabbit man you need Decomate big buck hunting lessons, because you're obviously not doing it right!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    It sounds to me like rabbit man you need Decomate big buck hunting lessons, because you're obviously not doing it right!
    If you have thousands of acres of continuous land, yes, he will remain on the land and you will pick him up in a different area. On 150 acres, no....he gone! It's just like turkeys....for most of the year when they are bunched up, they tend to localize in specific areas. Once mating season comes they go all over the place.

If you can't kill them in September you need to pick up badminton instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    If you can't kill them in September you need to pick up badminton instead!
    The real deer season in my area comes in on October 11th. I'm not about to waste time or put pressure on the place til I can grip the ultra high luster grain of my 30-06. Besides it's too damn hot to be messing with deer til October. I work on doves with my free time the whole month of September.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 07-16-2018 at 11:16 AM.

sure, those deer will scatter...and the nicer ones wont spend as much time in front of the camera, but to say that deer is "anywhere but there" is simply not correct.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.