Thread: Soybean and Cowpea plot

Default Soybean and Cowpea plot

Got a 5 acre field I’ve been meaning to plant but due to work increase I’m behind the 8 ball. I’m not too concerned about the cowpeas but fear that I’ve waited too late for soybeans. My 2 main questions are:

Have I waited too late for soybeans? If not, wait variety should I be planting? My goal for the soybeans was obviously for early attraction but also for late season(although I’m doubtful there is a variety that I can plant in the next 2 weeks that will still produce a pod, maybe I’m wrong)

Secondly, should I mix the 2 and plant them all together or should I do one half of the field in cowpeas and the other in soybeans? Thanks in advance
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Never too late for beans. Get some chicken doodoo on it and it will get higher than they can mow down. Plow under and use Oct ish for late season crop. Peas and blends are for unsuccessful newbies.

It’s soybeans and peas. You’re way over thinking it. Plant either up until it frost, mix them or 50/50 your plot, deer mow them down then replant it.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Plant enough so they make beans and deer will eat in them when it gets cold

I think I’m too late though for my beans to make a pod. That’s my only concern.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I think I’m too late though for my beans to make a pod. That’s my only concern.
    45 to 60 days
    More fuel = more boost!!

What variety you planting Kevin

We plant the “forage” soybeans. That’s what I think they are considered. They mature and deer love them in the winter. There are other variety’s that mature faster or so i’ve read. We plant peas and soybeans. Don’t really mix them, one plot has one or the other. Scattered milorganite this year and the plots look good.
    More fuel = more boost!!

around the house peanuts are a fav for deer and us the hunters ,has anyone on here ever planted peanut food plots ,reason i say this ,farmers rotate this crop so its not to hard on the farm land ,but it returns ever year after and deer keep coming back for more ,i know it will cost more to plant these compared to peas or beans ,but deer walk over beans to get to the nut fields