Thread: Diving Jocassee

Default Diving Jocassee

Going to get my oldest, who is 11, certified to dive. I was debating doing his cert dives at Jocassee and curious if anyone has been. How is clarity, temp, etc?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Usually very clear and always coldddd.

Doing the certification dives on Jocassee will be clearer there than anywhere in the state, but not the best due to the time of year. Depending on if you dive on the divers ramp or go by boat to the junk, visibility at less than 60' will range from from 20' to 40' depending on boat traffic, other divers silting up the bottom and ambient light. Last weekend my temperature gauge showed 88 air temp, 57 degrees as a low, and 66 degrees as an average. My max depth on that dive was 117' and the thermocline was around 70'. Staying above 60' I'd guess the water temperature to stay in the low 70's. I strongly recommend doing your son doing his checkout dives on Jocassee.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What dive shop are you going through?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys
    Scuba's Johns In Lexington. Got mine thru Wateree 20 years ago. Had never heard of these guys, but good ratings, and closer to home.
    Last edited by everlast; 07-14-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams