Thread: Gator with a...

Default Gator with a...

This gator doesn't know that bonnetheads are not legal to kill?

July 12, 2018 08:02 PM

Sharks or gators?

Which one is at the top of the food chain in Hilton Head’s wild and crazy animal kingdom?

A Hilton Head alligator might have ended the debate.

On Friday, Kristen Poillon captured an island alligator named “Charlie” on video as he proudly chomped down on a bonnethead shark while swimming through Skull Creek.

OK, so it was kind of an unfair playing field considering the 7-foot gator dined on what was basically a baby shark.

Then again, the alligator was out of its normal habitat, swimming in the saltwater of Skull Creek, a part of the Intracoastal Waterway.

The two feared predators typically don’t cross paths because alligators lack saltwater glands, which makes it difficult for them to survive in coastal waters, according to Smithsonian’s National Zoo.

However, a recent study showed that alligators and sharks could be crossing paths more often now since American alligators are gaining tolerance for saltwater and showing up on beaches more frequently, according to a study published in Current Biology magazine.

“It’s not an outlier or short-term blip,” Duke ecologist Brian Silliman said in the study about gators appearing in saltwater. “It’s the old norm, the way it used to be before we pushed these species onto their last legs in hard-to-reach refuges. Now, they are returning.”

And Friday isn’t the first time an alligator has gobbled up a shark for dinner either.

A 2017 study found that alligators will eat pretty much anything, including four types of sharks, National Geographic reported.

Scientists have also found that the two species are ancient enemies of a sort. There’s also evidence of sharks attacking crocodiles in other parts of the world.

This isn’t even the first time an alligator has eaten a shark in Hilton Head waters, according to a photo posted by Science News Magazine.

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/...214805700.html

That's Charlie with a gift from one of the north end charter captains....

Fake news nothing to see here
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Should showed the video of the people sicking their dog on the sunning alligator. Everything was going well for Feefee until the gator turned ,grabbed Feefee, and water back into to pond.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 07-14-2018 at 09:23 AM.

It's all fun and games until the croc wins

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I shouldn't be amazed at the foolish things people do, but I still am. How did they not see that coming ?

Fee Fee would have been the name of my 30.06 that dispatched that lizard.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill