Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd home question

Default 2nd home question

Long story, but I built a barndiminium for my parents about 40 yards behind my house. 2100 sq ft and handicap accesable. It is sitting on a 7 acre tract with my home. I also have 8 acres beside the 7 that is another tract.
    Origjnally I was trying to make this a "shop / apartment". Well it is considered a residence and county apprassied way higher than what I have in it. They also called it my second home.
    Tax accsessor sent a letter this week. I am the proud owner of 2 homes and tbe tax rate went through the roof on the second home.

Is there anyway "on paper" that I can dodge this? I went from trying to do the right thing to having to pay 5K more in property taxes.
    I know I can cut that acre and sell her the home and 1 acre for a buck.she can get homestead exemption until she dies, but then I am back in the same boat.

On top of all this, dad passed away and mom doesn't need it right now. Is it even possible to make a structure be reclassified?

I need some advice because this shit has gotten out of hand.

Can you have both houses on the same electric meter, same street address, etc. and call it an "out building"?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Can you have both houses on the same electric meter, same street address, etc. and call it an "out building"?
    Thats about the only option. Should have never let them know it had living quarters.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 07-11-2018 at 02:43 PM.

If there is any possible way to connect them with a covered breezeway then the second structure becomes part of the first.

Then it will be taxed as your primary residence.
    Last edited by TARBABY; 07-11-2018 at 03:28 PM.
    GREAT PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.
    AVERAGE PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THINGS.
    SORRY PEOPLE TALK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.

SRS GRHRCH UH BOBO MNH
    2009 MID ATLANTIC RETRIEVER CHAMPION
    2009 HUNTSVILLE SRS CHAMPION

HRCH UH WOODY

What county?

It is hard to unring a bell, but I think the only thing to do is to, as mentioned, call it an outbuilding and not a dwelling. Good luck getting the county to reverse something but there is a chance. BTW, I was thinking about doing the very same thing, so please keep us updated. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

You built a second home now you have to pay secondary home taxes. No way to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    What county?
    Lets start with this.

One other thing you could do is get it deeded, put it in someone else's name and it becomes the first home for them. If they are elderly, you might consider a child's name or a sibling. That happens all the time. They will make you give it enough land and easements for the driveway. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Land survey.

Divide the tract. Sell them the house for $5.00 and love and affection.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 07-11-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    One other thing you could do is get it deeded, put it in someone else's name and it becomes the first home for them. If they are elderly, you might consider a child's name or a sibling. That happens all the time. They will make you give it enough land and easements for the driveway. MG
    You could deed it to your parents and it would work. Deed it to someone else who doesn't live there and that's tax fraud. If your parents are over a certain age and you deeded it to them it may be exempt from taxes. Just make sure it's willed back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    You could deed it to your parents and it would work. Deed it to someone else who doesn't live there and that's tax fraud. If your parents are over a certain age and you deeded it to them it may be exempt from taxes. Just make sure it's willed back to you.
    unless she is eventually put in a nursing home, then they will confiscate it.

Best thing to do is suck it up and pay the taxes or risk losing it.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Burn it down

First, it is Edgefield. There is a few things I would have done differently.
    Going to a real estate lawyer soon. Survey and sell looks to be the way to go. Also something called Bond for title.
    If she makes it five years, then she will "sell" to my oldest son who would be 18 by then. That way he could get the 100,000 of appraisal and 4%.....primary home thing.
    Looking into a trust. Just wish I would have done it differently. If there is a way to screw them, I will damn sure do it.

Seriously think about connecting, but I am sure they will put the brakes on it somehow. That part is really gray area on it needing a roof or walls or heated
    Last edited by Highcotton; 07-11-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highcotton View Post
    If there is a way to screw them, I will damn sure do it.
    Seems to be par for the course these days...

When you look at the situation, it isn't a rental or something we would even sell seperately. A 2100sq ft house on a slab and they want me to pay 5K a year in taxes on it. Literally 40 yards behind my house on 15 acres

Also, this place was paid for as we built it. No liens or mortage on the thing. The only thing that has happened is a permit was issued to build it. Even the address is the same for my house and new house. Not even a 1 or A added to my address. Wonder how that works
    Last edited by Highcotton; 07-11-2018 at 04:51 PM.

They are after the tax dollars for sure. I bought a place with a livable house on it and had the house demolished. York county appraised the empty lot for more than what I paid for the lot with a livable house. How does that work?

That's BS and THEY know it!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Has your attorney recommended drawing up a "life estate" which allows your parent(s) to occupy the property and have all the benefits as an owner until death?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

You need a better guy. You don't have a guy? Get a guy...