Thread: Go pro?

Default Go pro?

We are looking to film our hunts this year and was curious what go pro works best for filming? Or is this even a good way to go. They will be used go film duck hunts. Thanks
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Won’t give you the results I suspect you’re wanting
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

I've played this game with a Hero 3. It was fun for filming a few goose hunts in good daylight. Poor light quality and small far away targets are not a go pro's friend unless they've gotten significantly better since the Hero 3. Anyway, we experimented with 2 go pro's, one forehead mounted and one mounted to the gun. Neither was worth the aggravation duck hunting. HOWEVER, if you goose hunt, with good daylight, the birds usually give you a heads up when they're coming and you can have a chance to turn it on and start filming. It became more of a hinderance than anything though... Good luck. Not saying to not give it a try, but I'd borrow one first if at all possible and see if its really something you want to do BEFORE spending that much money.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I see people stake about 3 out at different views. I guess I was thinking it might would work that way but maybe not. I guess I will try to borrow a few and test first.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Another note I forgot to mention but realized the very first time we used it. The weather was bad, raining on and off, and very cloudy obviously. The moisture on the lens makes the image very distorted so you have to keep it DRY! and trust me, that's easier said than done.

The coolest thing I've ever seen done with a go pro and duck hunting is when they rig the camera up to the dogs vest so it films the "dogs POV". personally I've never done this but have seen some cool videos of it

I have a Session 5 that is pretty versatile. Especially when nobody knows it is there...

No zoom with the go pro
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Go Pros are good for wide angle fixed position applications, like fishing.

You need a better camera for filming duck hunts.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 07-12-2018 at 07:33 PM.

I would use the go pro to film yourself or the group, as a second angle or b roll. Even with geese I haven't been impressed with the footage. Filming a duck hunt well requires a dedicated camera man in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Oh View Post
    I would use the go pro to film yourself or the group, as a second angle or b roll. Even with geese I haven't been impressed with the footage. Filming a duck hunt well requires a dedicated camera man in my experience.
    Yes it does. The Canon HD's have been good to us.

What they said CootEWhootE
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"