Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round Up goes to trial

Default Round Up goes to trial

During more than a century of business, US agrochemical colossus Monsanto has been vilified for products critics say harm people and the environment.

In the first trial of its kind, a Californian dying of cancer is suing Monsanto, claiming its popular herbicide Roundup caused his disease -- a case that could have sweeping ramifications.

A jury on Monday is scheduled to begin hearing pitches from opposing sides, with witnesses to follow.

The stakes are high for Monsanto, which could face massive losses should a jury order it to pay out damages over the product, whose main ingredient is glyphosate, a substance some say is dangerously carcinogenic.

Dewayne Johnson, a 46-year-old father of two, says he is sick because of contact with Roundup, which he used for two years from 2012 as a groundskeeper for the Benicia school district near San Francisco, his lawyer Timothy Litzenburg told AFP.

"A major part of that job was spraying Roundup or Ranger Pro (a similar Monsanto product).... He sprayed it 20 to 40 times per year, sometimes hundreds of gallons at a time on the school properties," Litzenburg said.

In 2014, Johnson was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer that affects white blood cells. No longer able to work two years later, he filed suit against Monsanto, accusing the company of hiding the dangers of its product.

A key to Johnson's case will be convincing jurors that Monsanto's pesticide is to blame for his illness.

"His case has been expedited because he currently has only a few months to live," his lawyer said.

Litzenburg says he represents hundreds of people who also say they are victims of glyphosate.

Whether the substance causes cancer has been the source of endless debate among government regulators, health experts and lawyers.

- Agent Orange -

Monsanto, a company that is more than a century old, was recently acquired by Germany-based Bayer for more than $62 billion.

Founded in 1901 in St. Louis, Missouri, Monsanto made the artificial sweetener saccharin. The company began producing agrochemicals in the 1940s and now employs 20,000 people around the world and generates $15 billion in annual revenue.

Monsanto was one of the companies which produced a defoliant dubbed "Agent Orange," which has been linked to cancer and other diseases, for use by US forces in Vietnam but denies responsibility for how the military used it. The company also made insecticide DDT.

Monsanto's flagship herbicide Roundup was launched in 1976.

The company soon thereafter began genetically modifying plants, making some resistant to Roundup.

The pesticide has been accused of damaging the environment, contributing to the disappearance of bees and being an endocrine disruptor.

The Roundup trial in San Francisco, which will directly address whether product has caused cancer, is the first of its kind.

- Scientific controversy -

The International Agency for Research on Cancer, a World Health Organization body, has classified glyphosate, which is widely used around the world, as "probably carcinogenic."

The European food safety and chemicals agencies have so far not followed suit. A US Department of Health study has suggested its toxicity is limited.

Monsanto has always denied any link between disease and glyphosate, a substance classified as carcinogenic in the state of California.

"More than 800 scientific studies, the US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), the National Institutes of Health and regulators around the world have concluded that glyphosate is safe for use and does not cause cancer," the group said in a statement.

"We have empathy for anyone suffering from cancer but the scientific evidence clearly shows that glyphosate was not the cause. We look forward to presenting this evidence to the court."

Johnson has not yet set the damages he intends to seek from Monsanto, also known for its genetically modified seeds that have sparked intense controversy elsewhere.

"The only thing, as civil attorneys, that we can do is to take money from Monsanto and give it to Mr. Johnson," said Litzenburg.

Californian law allows for an expedited procedure when a party is facing imminent death and Johnson's is the first targeting Roundup to use that law and reach trial.

"Monsanto has purposefully deceived the public about the safety of its flagship herbicide Roundup for decades," said Linda Wells, Midwest organizing director for Pesticide Action Network North America.

"If Johnson is successful at trial, it will be a huge shakeup for the entire pesticide industry."

https://www.afp.com/en/news/826/roun...al-doc-17d6un1

The article refers to RU as a pesticide, I might be fucked up, but why isn't it saying herbicide?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    The article refers to RU as a pesticide, I might be fucked up, but why isn't it saying herbicide?
    Same reason they are calling the problem grass in Murray hydrilla! To hide it
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Sounds like he needs to sue the school board not RU.

School Boards not worth 62 million....

which he used for two years from 2012 as a groundskeeper for the benicia school district
    he sprayed it 20 to 40 times per year, sometimes hundreds of gallons at a time on the school properties,"
    Rookie

If round up causes cancer we are in trouble.

Heck what dont cause cancer these days
    Last edited by coot nasty; 07-09-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    It is a pesticide. Weeds are pests and RU kills them, therefore, RU is a pesticide. You're thinking insecticides are "pesticides", which is correct, but any substance that controls a nuisance is classified as a pesticide. One could argue that divorce is a pesticide....
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Rookie
    Exactly. There are probably dozens on this board that have sprayed that much or more for many more years with no ill effect.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think NC State has been doing some research on the effects of round up and its about impossible for you to come in contact with enough for it to become harmful.

so THATS where all the turkeys have gone....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think NC State has been doing some research on the effects of round up and its about impossible for you to come in contact with enough for it to become harmful.
    It is in California, I'm pretty sure I know how the first round will turn out.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Heck what dont cause cancer these days
    Not much in California. Untreated wood has a label on it out there due to proposition 65.

Glyphosate's dermal adsorption is one of the lowest of any pesticide. Much, much lower than most insecticides.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    One could argue that divorce is a pesticide....
    ...and make a strong case.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

all these responses and not one mention of the guy's name? i'm disappointed in yall

therock.jpg
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

After a 4 week trial it goes to the jury today. Based on the article i read it was alot of speculation and no concrete evidence at all. He is asking for 39 million.

Jury awarded $289,000,000...