Thread: Boat Trailer Question

Default Boat Trailer Question

Ok...When trailered, my boat has WAY too much tongue weight. I need to move the axles and everything a little bit forward, but I have no idea how far. I guess this is more of an educated guess kind of thing, but is there any way to get an idea on how far forward to move the axles??
    Boat is a 2015 186 Hurricane with a F150 Yamaha engine. The trailer is tandem axle aluminum.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

2 jackstands and a scale. Set the jackstands high enough to lift the wheels off the ground and start moving them forward until you get the tongue weight you desire. Mark that spot and move the axle.

Think it would be better to move the bunks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    2 jackstands and a scale. Set the jackstands high enough to lift the wheels off the ground and start moving them forward until you get the tongue weight you desire. Mark that spot and move the axle.
    Ah, I gotcha. Along those same lines, I could just push the boat towards the back till I get it correct, then measure, couldn't I?

yep

Quote Originally Posted by Jscrapmetal View Post
    Think it would be better to move the bunks back.
    That would be easier. I'll have to put the boat on the trailer and pay more attention to see which would be a better option. I don't trailer or pull the boat much, but it definitely needs less tongue weight.
    Thanks, yall.

I would look at the bunks/trailer set up first and make sure they are positioned correctly.
    I have a Key West that I bought new. It was heavy on the tongue.
    After discussions with the factory and sharing photos with them- it was clear the trailer was not set up correctly.
    We moved the winch stand backwards and reversed the bunks (they were installed backwards)- and it eliminated the issue by moving the boat back.
    Mine is a Wesco trailer and it was bought new with the boat. The boat dealer that supplied the trailer didn't set it up correctly.

I'd just move the winch stand back - you'll be surprised how little you'll have to move it to make a big difference.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I'd just move the winch stand back - you'll be surprised how little you'll have to move it to make a big difference.
    As long as the boat isn't hanging way off the bunks, this is the easier route.

I've only got about 2.5" of rearward movement available on the winch tower. Will that do anything??

Move the winch back
    867-5309

2.5" could easily move a couple hundred lbs off your trailer tongue, maybe even more. I'd just make sure that the bunks still supolport the transom.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    2.5" could easily move a couple hundred lbs off your trailer tongue, maybe even more. I'd just make sure that the bunks still supolport the transom.
    Thanks