Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR platform bear/hog rifle

Default AR platform bear/hog rifle

I have never owned an AR of any sort.

Want a black rifle to shoot bears/hogs with.

Need thermal and laser both.

Shots will be inside 600m.

I hear you folks talking about "building" rifles all the time. How does this work, what do I want, who do I talk to? I want the good shit.

Larue Tacticals 7.62 offerings or the LWRC R.E.P.R.

I know what offerings, or, and the mean. I am a good googler though. Thanks.

If money isn't much of an object....

https://www.larue.com/category/rifles/predatar-7-62/
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/flir-sy...iAAEgIUq_D_BwE

You don't really need a laser. Some NODs and an IR laser would be the exception.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

You lost me at some.

Just get whatever Griffin has

I already have a bad attitude. Thanks.

Snort.

Just go to swampy’s house and tinker toy you one together from all his unfinished projects. He’s got like 5 rifles unassembled and just waiting for somebody that knows how to work a puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Snort.

Just go to swampy’s house and tinker toy you one together from all his unfinished projects. He’s got like 5 rifles unassembled and just waiting for somebody that knows how to work a puzzle.
    Just 5, hell he's probably got the parts for 5 in the glovebox of his truck.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

This is solid advice...

If you’ve never “built” one before and you want the good stuff, you may want to get a complete rifle or a complete upper and lower and put together unless you have someone helping you with the process. It is not hard and lots of info on ar15.com but I would hate to try to learn on a high dollar rifle. If you want to learn and as cheap as stuff is now, you may want to try a basic 5.56/.223 first and then go from there.

Got no experience with 'em either but can see a need for a black rifle. Been studying on the Flir thermal optics. Bout ready to pull the trigger.

An AR10 chambered in 7.62x51/.308 is what you seek. Buy a complete rifle, because parts compatibility within the platform can be finicky, making building your own a pain.

Two rifle manufacturers, LWRC and Larue Tactical, make extremely accurate weapons, built like tanks.

LWRC has a rifle called the R.E.P.R. and it comes in a 16 inch or 20 in barrel.

Larue Tactical has several different rifles chambered in 7.62. If it were me I would look at the PredatOBR.

Do you want a suppressor (thing that makes the rifle report quieter)? Bipod (thing that holds the front of the rifle up for you)? Additional magazines (things that hold extra bullets)? Sling (thing you wrap around your shoulder to carry the rifle)? Other accessories?

I’m assuming the bear will be hunted from a stand, but what about hogs? Moving from field to field? Helicopter, perhaps?

I don’t know enough to learn you about FLIR or frickin laser beams.
    Last edited by wskinner; 07-08-2018 at 08:41 PM.

That ain’t black.

First step is choosing the caliber. You have seen my 5.56/.223 kill hogs DRT first hand.
    When you coming down? I can meet you at the farm and bring a few and give you a crash build course
    or let you borrow one. If you want to build, there are a few specialty tool that make it easy, such as an Armorers wrench, punch set and vise blocks.
    I have all them and you can also borrow them for as long as needed. YouTube is your friend with a gazzilion build step by step videos
    Rick
    Last edited by ecu1984; 07-08-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    First step is choosing the caliber. You have seen my 5.56/.223 kill hogs DRT first hand.
    When you coming down? I can meet you at the farm and bring a few and give you a crash build course
    or let you borrow one. If you want to build, there are a few specialty tool that make it easy, such as an Armorers wrench, punch set and vise blocks.
    I have all them and you can also borrow them for as long as needed. YouTube is your friend with a gazzilion build step by step videos
    Rick
    That one you have for sale would be a great one to start with

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    If money isn't much of an object....

https://www.larue.com/category/rifles/predatar-7-62/
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/flir-sy...iAAEgIUq_D_BwE

You don't really need a laser. Some NODs and an IR laser would be the exception.
    Awe, hell...make it more fun (and lazy).

Get this, toss it on the front of your RIS/RAS (rail for dummies) and shine a neat little dot and just fold 'em up from there.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/insight...on-module.html

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    That one you have for sale would be a great one to start with
    Yes it would! He knows he could get a great deal on it too or borrow it for as long as he wants.
    I think an AR10 would be better on the bear thingy but an AR15 will kill hogs all day and night with the right ammo