Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAP spitfire doublecross broadheads

Default NAP spitfire doublecross broadheads

https://www.newarchery.com/product/s...-double-cross/

I'm thinking about giving these a try this year. Any of y'all ever use them?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Too many good fixed heads out right now to worry with mechs. Just my $.02. Thin Carolina deer are pretty easy to kill where penetration isn’t an issue. Those over-the-top plus rear deploy blades will lose a ton of penetration, but again, for deer around here you’ll likely never have an issue. I’ve never been a mech guy, but the guys I’m on a lease with in Ohio shot a few bruisers with the rage trypan last year and I was pretty impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Too many good fixed heads out right now to worry with mechs. Just my $.02. Thin Carolina deer are pretty easy to kill where penetration isn’t an issue. Those over-the-top plus rear deploy blades will lose a ton of penetration, but again, for deer around here you’ll likely never have an issue. I’ve never been a mech guy, but the guys I’m on a lease with in Ohio shot a few bruisers with the rage trypan last year and I was pretty impressed.
    What fixed blades would you suggest?

I don't have anything against mechanicals and have used them with success but those look like they'd have terrible penetration. It would kill the deer but you'll need a good dog to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    What fixed blades would you suggest?
    Ask 10 people and you’ll get 8 different answers. My personal favorites are QAD exodus swept, mangus black hornet, and grim reaper hades. There are other good ones out, these are just my favorite because they shoot good, great edge retention, do work on deer, and are made in the USA.

Through marketing the outdoor industry has falsely led folks to believe a mechanical is the best way to kill a deer. Through my archery career (20+ years) I have found the opposite to be true. A sharp fixed head with no moving parts placed in the lungs (clipping the top of the heart for bonus points) with 2 holes to leak blood will lead to a short track job more times than a big mechanical with less chance of an exit wound. There will be a ton of deer die at the end of a mechanical head this year so take it for what it’s worth. This is just my observation. Put cuts in stuff that don’t need cuts is the name of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I don't have anything against mechanicals and have used them with success but those look like they'd have terrible penetration. It would kill the deer but you'll need a good dog to find it.
    I did some quick reading on them last night and a lot of people seemed to like them.
    I have a cousin who only bowhunts and he swears by that style of deployment, which is why they caught my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I did some quick reading on them last night and a lot of people seemed to like them.
    I have a cousin who only bowhunts and he swears by that style of deployment, which is why they caught my eye.
    Listen to wiz and ill get you the fixeds I told you about.

Check out Bi-Polar broadheads. Best of both worlds and they absolutely wreck a whitetail.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Slick trick magnums, QAD Exodus or Magnus Black Hornets.

Ram cats
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Ram cats

Best broadhead the world had ever seen before they got bought out by TOG. Still a great head, but the quality isn’t what it used to be. I put 125 replacement blades on 100gn heads. Talk about putting one in the dirt.

Luckily I bought a bunch of the old ones back a few years ago at a yard sell. Brand new in the pack. Gave the guy $2 per pack. He had no clue what he had
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I just recently switched from Slick Tricks to Ramcats for hogs myself. I have a buddy that made me into a believer quick like. I still like the Rage Hypodermics on the ole whitetails, I may try the new trypan this year though. With todays bow/arrow technology and if you are shooting 60+ lbs. you should have no issue with mechanical heads on whitetails. IMO the larger mechanicals give a little more room for error than the FBs. Hell if you put it in the armpit every time all you need is a field point, but most of us can't do that EVERY time.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    I just recently switched from Slick Tricks to Ramcats for hogs myself. I have a buddy that made me into a believer quick like. I still like the Rage Hypodermics on the ole whitetails, I may try the new trypan this year though. With todays bow/arrow technology and if you are shooting 60+ lbs. you should have no issue with mechanical heads on whitetails. IMO the larger mechanicals give a little more room for error than the FBs. Hell if you put it in the armpit every time all you need is a field point, but most of us can't do that EVERY time.
    I said the same thing until I started hunting SE Ohio in January. Big deer wrapped in thick leather covered in dense fur. I don’t have an issue with penetration as much as I do with edge retention. A lot of the mechanical heads are good in design, the blades just don’t hold much of an edge. Notice how dull the blades are on a mech head next time you kill a deer. Going through fur, hide, then ribs, I’d imagine they are all but dull by the time they get to the organs. A fixed head made of quality steel right here in the US that you can put an edge on seems to be better suited for deer on the heavier end of their size. NC/SC in the early season I don’t think it matters much and will happily send last season close out rage from Walmart.
    Last edited by wiz18; 07-06-2018 at 11:44 AM.

I would agree wiz, if you start to extend your whitetail range to states where they are 250+ lbs I would go Ramcat all day long. 265lb kansas buck Ramcats IMG_6459 (1).jpg

If you want to try a mechanical try the Grim Reapers. They are good heads that have stood the test of time.

With that said. I personally think that most QUALITY built heads be it mechanical or fixed blade will get the job done. I also agree that most mechanicals don't have sharp blades whenever compared to a quality fixed blade. I guess they opt for cheaper steel to keep the cost down.

I didn't know that RamCat was bought out. The same thing happened to ST whenever they were bought out, the quality took a nose dive.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    If you want to try a mechanical try the Grim Reapers. They are good heads that have stood the test of time.

With that said. I personally think that most QUALITY built heads be it mechanical or fixed blade will get the job done. I also agree that most mechanicals don't have sharp blades whenever compared to a quality fixed blade. I guess they opt for cheaper steel to keep the cost down.

I didn't know that RamCat was bought out. The same thing happened to ST whenever they were bought out, the quality took a nose dive.
    another reaper fan here. Been using for 15 years with great results. No one has mentioned one of the main reasons to used a top quality mechanical which is they simply fly better on modern high speed bows. But I'd be careful about the mechanical you choose. I get tempted at times to try the latest and greatest but always come back to 100 grain razor tip grim reapers. Hog wash on the thick fur argument! Shot 250 pound boar hogs with reapers and watched em drop

I've been using NAP spitfire double cross fuckemup broadsword heads for over 16 years.

I have to wear hip waders when I track em. In Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    ... The same thing happened to ST whenever they were bought out, the quality took a nose dive.
    Late to the conversation but where exactly did quality take a nose dive with slick tricks? I've been using mags for 5 or 6 years now, a little longer with standards mixed in with another brand and have yet to have had any issue with any of them. Bought more the last two seasons even.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles