Thread: SWFA Scopes

Default SWFA Scopes

Does anyone know where their scopes and glass is made?

I'm specifically eyeballing the new lightweight 2.5-10x32 for a Mini-14 in place of an old Simmons wide-view(?) I threw on it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Nozzletoff

No idea where they are made but they use Japanese glass.

I have zero experience with that particular scope but if it’s like the rest of them, you won’t be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    No idea where they are made but they use Japanese glass.

I have zero experience with that particular scope but if it’s like the rest of them, you won’t be disappointed.
    Glass is from LOW, no idea on the rest of the components. You never hear anything bad about them though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Glass is from LOW, no idea on the rest of the components. You never hear anything bad about them though.
    If LOW is Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    If LOW is Japanese.
    Yes, Light Optical. At least they use to. There was a write up on them on either OpticsTalk or Optic Thoughts by that guy that goes by Koshkin 3 or 4 years ago.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Yes, Light Optical. At least they use to. There was a write up on them on either OpticsTalk or Optic Thoughts by that guy that goes by Koshkin 3 or 4 years ago.
    Ah I didn’t know what LOW stood for. It’s still Japanese glass just different coatings for the different scopes

I know they had a contract with Tasco a while back, don't know if that is true today.

They look very similar to the old Tasco Titan and Euro Class 30 MM scopes, that were by the way very good scopes.

Thanks for the info.
    ~ George Washington

I used to see some at matches. They were one of the better inexpensive options. The Vortex PSTs have displaced them.
    The fixed 10X and 12X are still popular.

I have purchased maybe half a dozen scopes from them over the years and been happy with everything I got. I can give you a tip on rigging scout scopes on a rifle which is if you want a tough scope use a handgun scope on a rifle as a Scout Scope. The rationale being handgun scopes have to be designed and built tougher than rifle scopes because the recoil impulse from a magnum handgun is far more severe than the impulse delivered by a rifle. I have a number of 2.5X handgun scopes and 2-7X handgun scopes mounted on rifles and never had any problem from them.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power & Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), US Palma & Dewar Teams , Formerly US Army Picatinny Arsenal Small Cal Wpns Lab, Spec Projects Group Dover Devil Cal 50 Machinegun , Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Prov Gnd, Member Int Wound Ballistics Assn., consultant to Fed Law Enf Tng Ctr, Glynco, US Border Pat, Defense Crim Inv Service, Army Munitions and Chem Cmd, Army Wound Ballistics Lab, NRA Life 1972, AC4HT, Firefighter 1, Shriner

Thanks for the tip, Hummer. I was recently thinking about a Scout scope for a Mini-14.
    ~ George Washington

Woodie, check out XS scope mounts, seems I saw they made a Scout Mount for Mini 14. Have you already purchased the Mini?
    Last edited by Hummer; 09-16-2018 at 07:15 AM.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power & Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), US Palma & Dewar Teams , Formerly US Army Picatinny Arsenal Small Cal Wpns Lab, Spec Projects Group Dover Devil Cal 50 Machinegun , Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Prov Gnd, Member Int Wound Ballistics Assn., consultant to Fed Law Enf Tng Ctr, Glynco, US Border Pat, Defense Crim Inv Service, Army Munitions and Chem Cmd, Army Wound Ballistics Lab, NRA Life 1972, AC4HT, Firefighter 1, Shriner

If you dcide on a scout scope I've got a Burris 2.75X with heavy duplex that was on my 45-70. I'll make you a deal on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
    Woodie, check out XS scope mounts, seems I saw they made a Scout Mount for Mini 14. Have you already purchased the Mini?
    Here's what I found at the XS site...

https://www.xssights.com/Search.aspx...ini-14%20mount

I've owned the Mini for years.

FLS, thanks for the thought, but my eyes need more than 2.75x for as far as the Mini-14 can shoot (fairly accurately). I almost mistook a neighbor's medium sized mutt that looked like a dark coyote when using a red dot, which is why I put an old scope on it. I chewed them out for them letting their dog run and told them next time I wasn't going to worry about it, but I still like I properly ID my target.
    ~ George Washington