Thread: OMC gearcase change

Default OMC gearcase change

Have a v4 130 Johnson that comes with the larger V6 foot, can I exchange this for the smaller v4 115 gearcase and if so would it be worth it for the ratio and smaller prop diameter.

Why do you want the smaller prop diameter?

I ran my larger lower unit on my V4 140 hp Evinrude for a bunch of years until I broke the shaft on the lower last Fall. I switched to the smaller lower unit only because I couldn't find the big one. I would honestly rather have my bigger lower.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Just kicking around ideas in my head, I was thinking I can get a lower ratio as well as move a higher pitched prop with it being smaller in diameter.

I know that the v6 power head will bolt up to the v4 base , but don't know about the lower unit . If the bolt pattern match up it will work .

What kind of boat?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

My motor is an old 1987 V4 Looper. Smaller foot works fine on my Evinrude (but I'd prefer my bigger lower unit.)

The shaft broke on my bigger lower unit below the water pump. I had towed a buddies boat 20 miles in some nasty weather to my friends camp, when I shut down to turn him loose the shaft must have cooled down seized or something. Turned the key and snapped the shaft. I was going to just replace the shaft but it was impossible to pull the foot apart due to saltwater corrosion. Smaller lower unit bolted right up.

Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill