Thread: Musings on blue wings

Default Musings on blue wings

They could show up at any time. July is not too early. I saw a flock in the delta over the 4th once. Over the years, from time to time I've run across BWT that have pretty big bills, with some degree of spatulate form. Not so much as a shoveller, but suggestive of a shoveller nonetheless. I'm sure some of you have noticed the same thing. GWT never show this. It seems to me that there are two possible explanations. Shovellers and BWT are very closely related, and apparently interbreed a lot. It could be that many of the BWT teal we see have some shoveller DNA, which could account for the bigger beaks. Or, maybe BWT just have a highly variable beak morphology, with many ranging closer to their spoonbill cousins.

If you look inside their bill, you'll notice the obvious filters very similar to a NS. BWT, due to this obviously have a diet more varied than a GWT and one more akin to a NS. Although a teal, they are very closely related to NS and you often find them occupying the same habitats.... Especially in the lower region of their wintering range.
    I don't know about the interbreeding of the two species but it's certainly possible...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

IMO.... Somewhere down the path of species evolution GWT and BWT originated from different paths.
    GWT and other similar teals from one path, and BWT, NS, and others from another.... I think the lack of similarities between the two is too apparent to assume a teal is a teal!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

The American Ornithological Society (AOS) has recently split the bluewing, cinnamon, and shoveler (along with the Garganey) out of the long-standing genus, Anas which contains all the other puddle ducks, into a new genus, Spatula.
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; 07-01-2018 at 10:47 AM.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Werd....

Look at pics of Australasian shovelers
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

So now all the people that love to eat BWT will stop eating BWT? Got it.

I prefer eating Teal over every duck , except for Summer Ducks..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Cool little birds. I am always amazed to see shitloads of them up in Canada well into winter since we already saw them in August/September down here, and then you run into them again in February in Mexico. I think it was last Christmas that we saw a pair in the Bahamas. They get around for certain.

Watch 'em feed and it'll tell you a lot about what's going on.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I prefer eating Teal over every duck , except for Summer Ducks..
    I prefer a teal every day of week over all others....

Agreed for the most part- except for one thing, I kill more Summer ducks.. so, we eat more of them.

A GWT in a dutch oven with 7 or 8 of his friends cooked for 3 hours makes a memorable meal indeed.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Love dem teal...

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Agreed for the most part- except for one thing, I kill more Summer ducks.. so, we eat more of them.

A GWT in a dutch oven with 7 or 8 of his friends cooked for 3 hours makes a memorable meal indeed.
    pm me recipe

Thousands in Nicaragua in late February every year. I’ve had BWT and NS near the coast that will make you throw up in your mouth they are so filled with stink... my take is they eat larvae and anything else they can find in the spoil ponds that time of year. Definitely has an affect on quality of meat
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I know when you shoot them and have them in hand they stink like shit.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

I’ve hunted the fall blue wings for years and have rarely cooked any that I could say were good eating.

It’s just their diet that time of year.
    Kill em in winter and they taste just fine.

Personally I believe we should have more opportunities with them in the fall.
    Many years they are the most numerous duck on this continent, and birds killed during September and our regular season total to nearly nothing in comparison to our neighbors to the south.

I’d love a full September season just for them.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I agree . A two week season is just not long enough. Most of the time they show up before or after the season.

No doubt the BWT and NS split off not far apart in time from the original species lineage wise.

I'd enjoy that longer season as well. I continue to see activity and encourage/push for more upon our Cat 1s, they have definitely received some attention. If we don't get another crusher of flood we "could" have opportunities that would make some giggle again in the next coming years/seasons.

I think many will be happy to see the improvements at both Samworth Broad River, Sandy Beach and the Delta properties this year when your duck gear comes out of the closet.

Good lord willing I will be around to see some return imprinting and longer hold overs.
    Genesis 9;2

No doubt. Iv'e been musing about blue wings all day.