Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trail Cameras - The ultimate scouting tool?

I love them for turkey hunting and the new wireless cameras have helped with duck scouting.

For deer, we don't do it intensively and 99.9 percent of our big buck photos are at night.

I run a bunch of cameras, but I don't use them as a hunting tool. I just like to know what's out there and I think it's fun. I have sat in a stand and watched enough deer walk right by and around trail cameras and then pull the card and not have a photo of that deer to appreciate that they aren't particularly reliable. There may be exceptions for tight trails in thick areas, but for the most part, I think you probably miss 80% of the deer that come within "range" of the camera. (And yes, that's a wild guess.)
    Carolina Counsel

Does running a camera not take some of the excitement of deer hunting away?

I think that people running cameras is the biggest contributor of bigger bucks being taken as the years go by. People are using them and seeing what is actually on their property and easing up on the younger deer
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    i think so sometimes,back in old days when old timers hunted they didnt know if a cowhorn or a grown 10 point was walking out and when it did they were like a kid in a toy store,so sometimes i dont run cameras just to see what shows up if i find big buck signs in a new area

I don’t run cameras but I killed a bunch of deer that had their picture taken by other club members. Most of the time the deer wasn’t anywhere near their cameras.

Cameras don't always catch everything. Wether its because the camera didn't take the picture due to settings or the deer just never came in range.

Ive sat many times and watched a new buck come out that Ive never seen before. Mainly due to them staying in the food plot or running the edges for scrapes.

This past year I had one stand that was good for this multiple times..the biggest 9 I had ever seen came out and scent checked around the feeder. He wouldn't come in within 50 ft of the feeder which sat in the middle of a food plot. I filmed him for 3 minutes and he was gone. Come to find out, I compared him to a picture roughly 900 yards away on a trophy rock in the middle of a hardwood section from 2.5 weeks earlier. 2 weeks later I watched him again at another stand about 1300 yards away and he frequented this stand quite often. Hopefully Ill have a harvest story of him later this season.

Not only do I use cameras to hunt, I use them to see what deer are there but more importantly I find their travels more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    I just bought the cuddelink cameras. I'll get the cellular base when it comes out.
    It’s avaliable now.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    It’s avaliable now.
    Post up a link. I can’t find one in stock.

I could have sworn Lancaster archery had them but they are out of stock now. I know they are starting to ship though so it should be back soon.

I don't use them for various reasons. I don't knock cameras, just not a big fan of them while still understanding fully what they can do.

I know fellas who use them and it makes them hunt harder/better knowing there are good bucks around. I also know some outstanding deer hunters who are simply crushed when they don't get pictures of good bucks and end up hunting less as a result. I don't claim to know much but when the rut hits and bucks are roaming it sure ain't a time to have a pessimistic attitude.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Useful tool but I don't think they are the end all beat all. The buck I killed this year I had on camera in a specific area. Hunted him several times and never saw him. Then I killed him on the complete opposite end of the farm in an area where I had never seen him or had pictures of him.
    Useful tool for taking inventory of what's on a place and some patterning but once the rut hits all bets are off
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Every deer I have killed the last 4-5 years has been on my cameras. They are great at taking inventory and helping me decide where to sit and when. Like others have said I will totally neglect certain tracts of land because nothing worth killing is on camera. They motivate me to hunt a lot of the time I would never consider getting out of bed. Hell I don't really even like deer hunting that much, but knowing there is a big buck that needs killing makes me get my ass up.

Can we all agree it cheapens the accomplishment of killing a mature buck if you pattern them with a camera?

Can we all agree it cheapens the accomplishment of killing a mature buck if you pattern them with a camera?
    No.
    Carolina Counsel

No not at all
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Negative

Nope.

Cameras probly save as many big buck lives as they take. I’ve seen many big bucks boogered up by people continuously checking them

Just the opposite actually.