Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trail Cameras - The ultimate scouting tool?

Default Trail Cameras - The ultimate scouting tool?

I was looking through some pictures last night of last years bucks that made it, and the ones that were killed this past season and prior seasons and I got to thinking. Every single buck (minus one I shot in SC as a guest) that me or my buddies have shot in at least the past 5 years has been caught on trail cam prior to being killed.

Then I got to reviewing my notes from the last two seasons, and every buck I have seen over 2.5 years old while hunting, I have on trail camera and I know what deer I am looking at when I see them.

So, are trail cameras the ultimate scouting tool? Do they keep you in the stand longer because you know that "big buck" might be right around the corner about to pop out? Do they help you decide on which stand to hunt due to what is showing on cam?

I don't run a lot of cameras, I think I have 6, but I do keep them out all deer season, and especially in July and August to see what's around.

What experiences have yall had around trail cams?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I don't use them. Some folks place ownership on a deer when they see it on camera, and get butt hurt when someone else kills it. I'd rather go on the assumption that there is a decent deer out there and I'll get a chance to see it. However I will agree to them being a very useful tool.
    Last edited by dhall1693; 06-26-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I was looking through some pictures last night of last years bucks that made it, and the ones that were killed this past season and prior seasons and I got to thinking. Every single buck (minus one I shot in SC as a guest) that me or my buddies have shot in at least the past 5 years has been caught on trail cam prior to being killed.

Then I got to reviewing my notes from the last two seasons, and every buck I have seen over 2.5 years old while hunting, I have on trail camera and I know what deer I am looking at when I see them.

So, are trail cameras the ultimate scouting tool? Do they keep you in the stand longer because you know that "big buck" might be right around the corner about to pop out? Do they help you decide on which stand to hunt due to what is showing on cam?

I don't run a lot of cameras, I think I have 6, but I do keep them out all deer season, and especially in July and August to see what's around.

What experiences have yall had around trail cams?
    Yes, Yes, and Yes for me on all your 3rd paragraph questions.

I've gotten a little less mad at the deer each year the past couple, and my work situation changing has really limited my time as compared to previous years. I only put a couple camera up last season and I don't anticipate this year being much different. One of my boys started going last year and both will probably this year. It has become a different activity for me. We'll get serious again about it I'm sure if they really take an interest and start carrying the rifle.

I'm not sure I've ever been mad at deer. I usually kill a few each year to fill the freezer, but mainly I just enjoy the fall woods.

I do try to capitalize on the small amount of time I have in the fall woods each year, and "figuring out" a buck is part of what makes it fun. I think trail cameras help me make the most of my stand time.

i like running trail cams. The "ultimate scouting tool?" Depends, I guess, on how you use them.

I just like seeing the pics. I like to know I have a "shooter" on the place. I am past getting upset when someone else kills him, but I can surely admit to being jealous or envious, right?

You have to admit it doesnt take a lot of woodsman skills to pick a big tower stand and snipe a deer at 200 yards with a high-powered rifle.

I'll you one thing....you can sure pick out the deer that will get shot each year. There is always one that seems to love the camera and tends to move around during hunting hours more than some others.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Been using cameras for many years, always built my own but own a few cheap tascos for public land spots. Cameras will show you what walked in front of your camera but they dont always show everything in the woods. I run them year round but my favorite time is in January after deer season on corn. Less natural food left and even with food plots, if you keep a corn feeder out thru February I think most of the deer in the area will hit it, then you know what has survived deer season.

Having pics of the big boy will help me get out of bed in the morning and sit longer, which I should be doing anyway. If I dont have any pics of a buck I want to shoot at a stand or I get one but he only comes by once a month its hard to go sit that stand hoping that today is the day he's coming back.

I prefer does for the freezer anyway and those are easy enough to get just hunting tracks with the bow in December, love a cold December morning doe

I think a retired dad that's eat-slap-up with deer hunting that has money, prime property and Toyota Tundra is the ultimate scouting solution but that's just me...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I use about 20 cameras, not for hunting. For trespassers. A good picture of a license plate and a visit from the Sheriff. Problems usually go away.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i like running trail cams. The "ultimate scouting tool?" Depends, I guess, on how you use them.

I just like seeing the pics. I like to know I have a "shooter" on the place. I am past getting upset when someone else kills him, but I can surely admit to being jealous or envious, right?

You have to admit it doesnt take a lot of woodsman skills to pick a big tower stand and snipe a deer at 200 yards with a high-powered rifle.

I'll you one thing....you can sure pick out the deer that will get shot each year. There is always one that seems to love the camera and tends to move around during hunting hours more than some others.
    spot on

I use them religiously.

When it comes down to it, a successful deer season is about how many mature bucks you put on the ground.
    Trail cameras give you valuable intel to know where and when to kill these deer.

Leave feelings out of this equation.

not only use as a hunting tool but also property watch or predator control.

I only have one trail camera, and usually put it out and check it twice a week starting in August and I don't use it much past October. I really only use trail cameras at a new spot. Last year I set up a new stand and food plot on a property I've had for several years. My camer spent 90% of its time in that one new area. I only moved it to prove to the landowner that deer were using another area as well.

One of my biggest scouting tools is the amount of time I spend in the woods squirrel hunting after deer season goes out. I'm in a club this year that I've never deer hunter before in my life but I've squirrel hunted for the past 3yrs. I feel pretty confident I can go in there and have some successful hunts without ever putting out a trail camera just based on deer sign I've consistently seen on off the beaten trails the last few years.

Trail cameras are a very useful tool but they're something I've never decided to heavily invest time/money in. IMO nothing beats spendng time in the woods and really learning a property when it comes to scouting.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I run over 20 at a time. If I have meat in the freezer and am hunting a big buck only, those cameras can save me a lot of wasted time
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I run 7 cameras July through January for deer and through April for Pigs.

During post season they are near protein feeders and pre season near the corn feeders. The rest of them sit on major routes and once September comes around they get moved to mineral licks and rubs.

Then again in November they go back to food plots and corn to see what new bucks show up. I use them for doe management and keeping tabs on the shooters. I have a couple extra to run heavy trails to see if new bucks are circling these plots. I do believe a camera on corn shows very little during the season and especially during the rut with multiple mature bucks. They are a very useful tool as long as you don't get fixated on them.

It's easy to hold off on a shooter when you know there is a hoss in the area of operations. They are crucial to knowing what is going on with your deers.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    I do believe a camera on corn shows very little during the season and especially during the rut with multiple mature bucks. They are a very useful tool as long as you don't get fixated on them.
    My experience has been the complete opposite. I get more bucks on cam on corn during the rut than just about any other time of the season. The only time I get more is after Christmas when/if it gets really cold.

I run mine all year long. It has helped me stay in the stand longer even though I didn't need help with that. I have gotten pictures of the bucks that we have killed off the property on camera. The cameras did not help me get them it just let me know they were in the area. It has let me watch a couple deer grow over the years. I just like having them to see the deer and also to force me to go hunt when I'm burnt out. There was a time my gf didn't want to hunt and slept in just for me to pull the card and have a the buck of a lifetime at her stand feeding in the food plot at 930 am.

I wouldn’t hunt much without them.

Let's you know when they are feeding and moving. I use 1 on this tract of mine.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I just bought the cuddelink cameras. I'll get the cellular base when it comes out.