Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka vs. Browning

Default Tikka vs. Browning

Tikka t3 or xbolt? Looking to get a rifle for my dad for his birthday in September. I know he likes the gray laminated stock so I've been looking at the tikka laminated or the x-bolt eclipse hunter mainly. Looking for some pro's and cons if y'all have experience with either or even both rifles. Personally, I think the x-bolt looks better cosmetically but have never shot one (I've also heard him mention he thinks the same). I own a tikka which has been a great rifle so looking for some talk on the x-bolt mainly. Also considering getting a tikka stainless and putting it in a boyd's laminated stock.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by fowlshot; 06-26-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Tikka...easily. At least that's my opinion. Never like Browning bolt rifles.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I have the Tikka gray ghost which was hard to come by, and it shoots great. I was always a Sendero fan. Recently got into the x-bolts and love them. Just got the Hells Canyon which is a beautiful setup, once I figure out the glass for it, I'm going to get Stump to paint to match. Both shoot within a qtr size at 300 all day. Hope helps

Quote Originally Posted by big b View Post
    I have the Tikka gray ghost which was hard to come by, and it shoots great. I was always a Sendero fan. Recently got into the x-bolts and love them. Just got the Hells Canyon which is a beautiful setup, once I figure out the glass for it, I'm going to get Stump to paint to match. Both shoot within a qtr size at 300 all day. Hope helps
    Factory rifle that shoots groups the size of a quarter @300yrds...I'm calling bullshit. It may be true, but I'd have to see it to believe it.

Tikka is a good rifle, Browning is a mediocre overpriced rifle. Lots of aftermarket upgrades and options on the Tikka, very few on the Browning. The Tikka is a Sako product line, the Browning wishes it was.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Had them both and like my Tikka T3 Super Lights,
    Have one in .270 and 7mm-08

I have a factory xbolt 280 that shoots factory ammo in a 1/4 inch at a hundred yards.It has the factory 26" barrel.Very nice trigger on it.

I have a browning Xbolt.
    Great gun and wouldn't think twice about buying another.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

And with factory Hornady ammo I can make bullet holes touch at 100yds
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Tikka

Tikka close thread! Next question is what kinda glass you’re getting him?

Personally I like Tikka, but have no first hand shooting experience with the X-Bolt's.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Tikka over xbolt all day. Only way I’d go browning would be an original abolt.

Tikka
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    Tikka close thread! Next question is what kinda glass you’re getting him?
    He bought a Meostar last year that would likely get moved to the new rifle.

So majority vote says tikka...now the question is, how easy is it to drop it into a new stock? I have never messed with putting a new stock on a rifle and would not want to take a rifle that shoots a clover at 100 yards and do something wrong that makes it shoot a 3" group instead.

Tikka by far and it is very easy stock wise. I know manners makes stocks inletted for tikka. I believe manners does as well
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Factory rifle that shoots groups the size of a quarter @300yrds...I'm calling bullshit. It may be true, but I'd have to see it to believe it.
    Same story as always from these numb nuts. The shoot a 3 shot group and the stars align and it may actually be a quarter size group at 300 or a .25" at 100 but they could never do it again if their life depended on it.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Same story as always from these numb nuts. The shoot a 3 shot group and the stars align and it may actually be a quarter size group at 300 or a .25" at 100 but they could never do it again if their life depended on it.
    LOL...yeah some folks, very obviously, don't know what it takes to shoot tight groups at distance.
    Professional shooters with the worlds best custom rifles would have a very tough time doing what countless rednecks on internet forums can do, regularly, with off-the-shelf rifles from Academy Sports.
    Last edited by MKW; 06-25-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    He bought a Meostar last year that would likely get moved to the new rifle.

So majority vote says tikka...now the question is, how easy is it to drop it into a new stock? I have never messed with putting a new stock on a rifle and would not want to take a rifle that shoots a clover at 100 yards and do something wrong that makes it shoot a 3" group instead.
    If you’re going to ditch the original stock, just buy a T3. EuroOptic has some leftovers at great prices not long ago. Not sure what chamberings they still have though. Stock swaps are easy in a bedding block type stock. Pillars and glass bedding are a little more involved but it’s not that difficult.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    If you’re going to ditch the original stock, just buy a T3. EuroOptic has some leftovers at great prices not long ago. Not sure what chamberings they still have though. Stock swaps are easy in a bedding block type stock. Pillars and glass bedding are a little more involved but it’s not that difficult.
    That's a good idea, I'll have to look later and see what they still have. I'm going to have to do some research on the stock swap then cause I have no idea what all that entails.