Thread: Question about Yamaha 40hp

Default Question about Yamaha 40hp

Quick question about Yamaha 40hp tiller running on an external, 6 gallon tank.
    The 6 gallon tank is located under an open deck behind the pedestal seat that I operate the boat from.
    The fuel line runs from the tank into an enclosed bilge (the primer bulb is located in the bilge) out of the bilge into the splash well and then connects to the motor cowling.
    The original primer bulb in the fuel line crapped out on me. Since it was located in the bilge I wanted to move it closer to the gas tank for easier access. Once I cut the primer bulb out of the original location I needed to reconnect the fuel line where I cut the primer bulb out.
    I was originally going to use a nipple and two hose clamps but got to thinking and decided to use an inline fuel filter instead of a nipple.

Question, since there is already the OEM filter under the cowling, does this second filter create a problem for this type motor set up or the fuel pump?
    Am I overthinking it?

May or may not be over kill but won’t affect the fuel flow as long as the filter is not clogged and the fittings are secured.

Yeah you're overthinking it. The extra filter just adds a couple extra potential points of failure. If it's anything like the one I used to have it was nice because you could see all the crap that built up in there. It was more of a reminder to clean it out whereas the filter under the cowl is more "out of sight and out of mind." Also if you get the type of filter I used its got a glass body with the filter element inside. When you disassemble for cleaning you'll notice how cheap the thing is and how it could fail by letting air in the line if not reassembled just right.

Oh and use herbie clamps on the fuel line junctions:

http://www.hcl-clamping.com/Herbie-C...Double-Grip-P1

Here's the filter I'm referring to:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 06-24-2018 at 09:19 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I think those Yamaha oem fuel filters will filter out anything in the gas that's like 10 micron and bigger (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) And that in line filter that I posted is rated for 100 micron, so you're not really gaining anything on the whole filtration thingy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

wont hurt a thing to add the in-line filter, just spend a few more bucks and get a quality one.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 06-25-2018 at 12:27 AM.