Thread: Ok, we have dove field planted. Now what

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ok, we have dove field planted. Now what

We got our small dove field planted last week with browntop and it has got a few good heavy showers on it due to pm thunderstorms.

We plowed one section completely and the other (what we call upper field ) field we plowed strips in it and left the tall stuff standing

As I have mentioned on another thread this is the first time I have planted a dove field in years, last time I did it you could plow and "top sow " wheat and shoot it . Never done one this way

Couple questions

1-do we just leave the tall stuff growing all summer where we cut strips , if so do we bush hog it prior to shooting field or just leave it alone

2-as for the browntop, do we just shoot it as it when it grows or do we bushhog it

3-do we plow it if we do bushhog

This will be a Labor Day weekend field ONLY and then we will plow it up to plant my deer food plots the next weekend so not really worried about late season dove shoot

I am kind of excited about this, we have small group of good friends but more than anything my 3 1/2 yr old grandson will be going with me(his other Granddad will probably be there too). Looking forward to the little one going.. He has already learned what doves sound like when he hears them around our house and will ask me when he sees birds flying are those the doves we gonna shoot Papa Tommy
    Last edited by tprice; 06-23-2018 at 01:43 PM.