Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons from 80 fathoms

Default Lessons from 80 fathoms

Couple pointers for you aspiring offshore types. Here are two observations from yesterday.

1) Dropping Back - isnt always the right thing to do after a bite doesnt produce a hookup. I watched from above a marlin bite a lure, knock it out of the clip, and then reposition behind the lure again once the slack tightened. I told the deckhand to reel the lure away but instead he dropped it back. The lure went right by the fish and out of its vision. And the fish faded away.

2) Managing any fish beside the boat - I could write a book on this, but I'm going to be very specific here. A) only touch the leader if necessary. B) if you're not wiring or gaffing, stay out of the way. C part 1) before you put the gaff in the fish, make sure you have room to bring the fish into the boat. C part 2) when you put the gaff in the fish, make one smooth motion up and over the gunnel. If its a big fish, you can hold still to get a better grip before coming over the side or while another gaff comes to assist.
    Last edited by Fish; 06-23-2018 at 12:27 PM.

I was about to post the exact same thing this morning.

Thanks for sharing, especially the part about dropping back after a miss.

Are you fishing the CBC?
    867-5309

C part three. If you get mad throw the gaff as far as you can.

G

No

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    C part three. If you get mad throw the gaff as far as you can.

G
    I was thinking more along the lines of throwing a know it all millinial over the stern. You can't imagine the number of people I've listened to brag about their knowledge and abilities and then watched them crash and burn doing the simplest tasks.

Two "mates" lost a smoker dolphin after they put a gaff in him. And by smoker, I mean 60 plus. Good kids, I like them. But they don't know anything and they don't listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I was about to post the exact same thing this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

Two "mates" lost a smoker dolphin after they put a gaff in him. And by smoker, I mean 60 plus. Good kids, I like them. But they don't know anything and they don't listen.
    While you on the other hand know everything... isn’t that right Ike?
    cut\'em

Yes, hence the post, genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    While you on the other hand know everything... isn’t that right Ike?
    Careful duesche, unlike many of the offshore posting dickwads, Fish has actually been there and done that. How nice was the blue?

I would be pissed at missing the dolphin, strictly for loss of the 2lbs of delicious head meat above the eye forward on a fish that size. It makes my mouth water to think about the pure white, buttery composition
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

It looked like maybe a hundred pounds. Perfect size to match the 30lb tackle. The fish jumped across the spread from just about where the dredge was situated. Probably followed the dredge for a while but I couldn't see it in the wash from the upper helm station.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    Careful duesche, unlike many of the offshore posting dickwads, Fish has actually been there and done that. How nice was the blue?

I would be pissed at missing the dolphin, strictly for loss of the 2lbs of delicious head meat above the eye forward on a fish that size. It makes my mouth water to think about the pure white, buttery composition
    I think it’s douche.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I think it’s douche.
    He may be German

Quote Originally Posted by possumwhiskey View Post
    He may be German
    That’d be Deutsch then.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Sounds like someone is 'salty'.

A fathom is a unit of measurement, depth, like six feet. It's not like he pondered something eighty times. He's more decisive than that.

Don't forget to never lift a fishes head out of the water before sinking a gaff as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post

So by that logic I know more about cowboying/farming and managing plantations than the rest of these farming and land management dickwads because I have been there and done that and made a living too?
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Couple pointers for you aspiring offshore types. Here are two observations from yesterday.

1) Dropping Back - isnt always the right thing to do after a bite doesnt produce a hookup. I watched from above a marlin bite a lure, knock it out of the clip, and then reposition behind the lure again once the slack tightened. I told the deckhand to reel the lure away but instead he dropped it back. The lure went right by the fish and out of its vision. And the fish faded away.

2) Managing any fish beside the boat - I could write a book on this, but I'm going to be very specific here. A) only touch the leader if necessary. B) if you're not wiring or gaffing, stay out of the way. C part 1)
    before you put the gaff in the fish, make sure you have room to bring the fish into the boat. C part 2) when you put the gaff in the fish, make one smooth motion up and over the gunnel. If its a big fish, you can hold still to get a better grip before coming over the side or while another gaff comes to assist.