Thread: Lessons from 80 fathoms

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lessons from 80 fathoms

Couple pointers for you aspiring offshore types. Here are two observations from yesterday.

1) Dropping Back - isnt always the right thing to do after a bite doesnt produce a hookup. I watched from above a marlin bite a lure, knock it out of the clip, and then reposition behind the lure again once the slack tightened. I told the deckhand to reel the lure away but instead he dropped it back. The lure went right by the fish and out of its vision. And the fish faded away.

2) Managing any fish beside the boat - I could write a book on this, but I'm going to be very specific here. A) only touch the leader if necessary. B) if you're not wiring or gaffing, stay out of the way. C part 1) before you put the gaff in the fish, make sure you have room to bring the fish into the boat. C part 2) when you put the gaff in the fish, make one smooth motion up and over the gunnel. If its a big fish, you can hold still to get a better grip before coming over the side or while another gaff comes to assist.
    Last edited by Fish; 06-23-2018 at 12:27 PM.