Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For you Sumter guys who know baseball legend, Bobby Richardson

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Default For you Sumter guys who know baseball legend, Bobby Richardson

I would like to get in touch with Mr. Richardson and thank him for something from a long time ago. I would like to have his phone number if this would be considered proper...PM'd of course. If not, mailing address would be OK.

Thanks
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Pm Santee11. He can probably get it for you.

Personal friend of mine...PM me and I will hook you up.....

The man lead a lot of people to Christ.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I am reading his book right now after hearing him speak at Fuzzy’s church. The good Lord has reached a lot of people through that man.
    cut\'em

Go by Guignard Diner around 7 AM, he will be there eating breakfast and holding court.

The best Gamecock ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    Personal friend of mine...PM me and I will hook you up.....
    PM sent.....thanks
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I've never met him but would love to talk to him one day. He and my grandfather had bird dogs together.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Mr. Richardson is my high school coach's FIL. I regret not having the good sense to pick his brain about baseball and God when he came out to our practices.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 06-24-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

OK, here is an update..... Thanks to Swift Strike, I was able to get in touch with Mr. Bobby.

This is the background story. In 1968, Mr. Bobby came to speak at a campground meeting in my home town of Hemingway. I was 9 at the time. Like most young boys in those days, Major League baseball was a big thing in my life, so the chance to meet a living legend was a dream come true. I went to the meeting with high hopes of getting his autograph. Unfortunately, at the time, my mother was very sick with cancer. At the end of the meeting, I stood in the autograph line for what seemed like forever. My dad finally said, "Son, I am sorry but we have to go. Your mother is very sick". I was sad, but I understood that family was more important.
    The following week, a stranger walked into my dad's business. He said that he was a friend of Bobby Richardson. He said that Bobby had heard about my mother and wanted to give me a gift. He pulled out a brand new bat, glove, and baseball, all autographed by Bobby Richardson. I was ecstatic! My dad didn't have the heart to tell me not to play with my special gift's, but he did get me a replacement baseball and suggested I use that one instead of the autographed one. I put away the autographed one in my top dresser drawer and didn't play with it (well not very much, anyway). My mother died just a few days afterward.

50 years have passed since Bobby Richardson did that special act of kindness for a kid that he didn't know. I have looked at that baseball and reflected on it many times over the years. That baseball was/is a tangible reminder of God's kindness and love in the midst of difficult times. A few weeks ago was the 50th anniversary of my mother's death. I visited her grave and cleaned up around it a bit. She alway's liked things neat and tidy. As I sat there and talked with her a while, that act of kindness from Bobby Richardson came to mind. I thought that although I had thanked God for that act of kindness many times, I had never thanked Bobby Richardson.

I resolved that I was going to try to contact him, which was the reason for the original post. I wanted to thank him for what he did, and actually prayed that God would somehow allow me to honor this man publicly. Fortunately Swift Strike (thanks Jason) knew how to get in touch with Mr. Richardson. Jason got permission to give me Mr. Richardson's phone number, so I gave him a call and asked if I could take him out to lunch to tell him the story. He said "what are you doing Wednesday"? I told him that I had to go to Hemingway to meet my dad. He said that if I could be at his house by 11am, I could be his guest at a Men's luncheon. I met Mr. Bobby and Mrs Betsy at their house in Sumter. We talked for a while in their den. I shared the story and then showed him that old and faded baseball. He smiled and offered to re-sign it for me. He then gave me an autographed copy of his book. After a while a couple of his friends came by to meet him for the luncheon. He asked if he could ride with me. That way his friends could take him home after lunch, and I could continue on to Hemingway. While on the way, he asked if I would be willing to share the story to the group of men. I smiled, knowing that this was an answer to prayer. I told him that I would be honored. That day as I stood before those men, I was able to publicly honor God and Bobby Richardson for a small act of kindness offered to a little boy from a long time ago. I will remember it as long as I live.

Never underestimate the significance of an act of kindness to a stranger, nor how God can use it to impact another life.

Great story.

I'm honored that I could help and be a part of that......

You will find no better Christian people that Mr and Mrs Richardson.

And as a PS, thanks for delivering the "goodies" for us...

Great story!
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

That is good stuff
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

That is a great story to read on the Fourth of July. America!

:like:

Great story! Mr. Bobby is as good as they get.

That’s pretty cool.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.