Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's On The Bottom Of Jocassee

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default What's On The Bottom Of Jocassee

The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

An anchwr and a few fishing rods of mine can be added to that list.

Interesting article. Thanks Mergie
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    x2
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

That is cool. Jocasse is such an awesome place.

Quote Originally Posted by justpracticin View Post
    I thought so too. I can't imagine how those people that lived in the valley felt when they had to leave the place where so many memories had been made. Progress sucks sometimes.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I usually avoid mergie threads like they're the plague, but this one was worth the click!

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I thought so too. I can't imagine how those people that lived in the valley felt when they had to leave the place where so many memories had been made. Progress sucks sometimes.
    There are articles and a SCTV program that goes into great detail about the lodge. The owner sued Duke power and won. They were not allowed on his property as the water rose. That is the only reason it wasnt torn down. The article you posted glosses over that part.

Bitter is an understatement
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

As with the creation of the TVA lakes and GSMNP, the families still haven't forgiven the government nor will they ever...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    As with the creation of the TVA lakes and GSMNP, the families still haven't forgiven the government nor will they ever...
    Can't blame them. The sons and daughters sold what was left of granddaddy's farm where I grew up running the woods, fields and creeks. It still makes me feel a hollow sadness inside when I think about it or go by there. There's a big ass red oak that you can see from the road, awesome tree shaped like a massive umbrella. I planted the acorn I found that had started to sprout, I put a few dead minnows in the hole I dug and sat the acorn on top, then lightly covered it with dirt. I protected it when it was small until it was big enough not to worry about. I was 9 years old when I planted it, that was 56 years ago. That kind of stuff sticks with you.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 06-22-2018 at 04:57 PM.

One of my favorite places. Lots of childhood memories there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My story is similar to Mergie's. Bittersweet for sure, as I'd still be workin 16hr days milking cows twice a day if it wasn't sold. It it wasn't taken, it was sold willingly. I can only imagine the resentment I would feel if it was taken and swallowed up with water.

Cool read,

There was a book I read a In high school that incorporated the the Jocassee flooding into its storyline. I think it was called One Foot In Eden, the author is SC native Ron Rash. Pretty good book If I remember correctly
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I've spent a ton of time under the waters of Jocassee diving. One of my favorite places mentioned in the article is the Mt. Carmel cemetery. There is a scene in the movie Deliverance where you can see the graveyard before the lake was flooded. The workers in the scene were actual workers removing the caskets and not actors. Not all of the bodies were removed prior to the lake being flooded because they couldn't find all of the next-of-kin for the proper paperwork to exhume the bodies.

Here are 2 neat YouTube videos of the graveyard. The first is the scene from Deliverance. Notice the unique tree at the center of graveyard on top of the hill at 0:35. You'll see the same tree in my dive video at 2:54.

Deliverance:

My dive video:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My mothers family farm is underneath Lake Hartwell. My mother, grandmother, and uncles were all bitter until their deaths.

When my grandfather graduated Clemson in 1950, his first job was as a cartographer for the Corp of Engineers. He was assigned to map out the town of New Ellenton to mimic the town of Ellenton. He always told stories of driving around the town in black "town cars" and the looks he got from the residents. I still have some of his original drawings
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

The only time I hunted the bomb plant I was checking out the area of my stand and noticed a 4x4 concrete marker in the woods. Eased over to check it out and it had road names on them. I wish I could remember the names. I spent the rest of the afternoon thinking how shitty those folks must have been.

My Grandmother was a Whitmire and the family owned much of the land now under the lake. Needless to say they weren't happy about it
    More Ducks, Less People

I often think of the giant military bases that were taken from families. I understand the need but if your family owned land where Camp Lejeune or Parris Island sit today it would be unforgivable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk