Thread: An American Hero - Capt. Ed "Too Tall" Freeman

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default An American Hero - Capt. Ed "Too Tall" Freeman

You’re a 19 year old kid. You’re critically wounded, and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley, 11-14-1965, LZ X-ray, Vietnam. Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 – 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in. You’re lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you’re not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you’ll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day. Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see an un-armed Huey, but it doesn’t seem real, because no Medi-Vac markings are on it. Ed Freeman is coming for you. He’s not Medi-Vac, so it’s not his job, but he’s flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He’s coming anyway.

And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board. Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses. And, he kept coming back…. 13 more times….. And took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Ed Freeman, died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise , ID ……May God rest his soul…..Medal of Honor Winner Ed Freeman!

https://www.c-span.org/video/?301577...tory-interview

Ps. He died in 2008. I didn't realize this piece, although accurate, didn't say when he died. Listen to the video when you get some time it's well worth it.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 06-21-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

A hero indeed.

And I'm guessing the last sentence is actually two separate thoughts?

God Speed.

Hal Moore praised the man for his bravery and courage. That's about as high praise as a soldier could get in Vietnam. If you haven't read We Were Soldiers, do yourself a favor and read it, don't watch the movie, read the book.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

What that didn't say is that Capt. Freeman was hit 4 times in the legs and kept flying back in to get more wounded men. He said in the interview that it was a 13 minute trip one way but he honestly doesn't know how many times he made the trip. He said things like that and time are a blur for him. Today we'd say he was in the "zone." Mark McCracken portrayed him in the movie "We Were Soldiers." He also talks about Hal Moore and says his strictness and demand for discipline saved men's lives in that battle.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Oh and he said in his opinion and the opinion by others that were at LZ X-ray, the movie was about 85% accurate. He was invited out to the filming but turned it down. Said he watched the movie at the premier, that was the only time he's watched it.

Not to distract from the heroism of Capt. Freeman or the men on the ground, this was probably one of the best scenes from that movie

Only because Madelaine Stowe was in the shot...
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Stud...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I forget exactly but in the interview he said he was in the seat of his chopper that day something like 20 hours without getting out. He said he would step out on the runner and hold the controls with one hand and take a piss.