Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mosquito Control Techniques Sithl Blower

Default Mosquito Control Techniques Sithl Blower

My father is looking to control the mosquitoes around his yard a little more. He had a company come out about 2 weeks ago and sprayed, did the job and they slowly came back. The company came again and charged him $70 and recommend every 2-3 weeks spraying. He understands with heat and rain that the application rate changes and he is well aware it wasn't a fix all. He actually got a quote for a fixed system and it was a little more then he wanted to spend. He enjoy his time outside and around the pool so he is looking for a good fix.

I was at the local outdoor equipment shop the other day and noticed that the Stihl blower/sprayer is only $400 for the unit. Between that and the cost of the chemicals, that unit will pay for itself rather quickly. He sits on 1/2 acre lot with a lot of trees, bushes and shrubs around his property. I'm assuming he would be spraying those mostly and thats why I'm asking about a blower and not a sprayer.

How many of you are doing this and what chemicals are you using? I read the last thread and it was a couple years old, so just looking for a refresh.

Thanks TJ

Never used a blower but Talstar in a pump sprayer works pretty good

Interested as well

Talstar in the blower is the ticket! Mix 2oz to gallon water. Fog all shrubs and as high up in the trees as you can. I also fog around the porchs and my grill area heavily, grass included. How long it lasts all depends on how much rain you get.
    Last edited by adamb61085; 06-19-2018 at 11:38 AM.

I have the same blower TJ. I use BiFen and it works like a champ. I put 3 oz in the tank and set the head to 3.

I'm using bifenthrin from a one gallon hand can sprayer. Good control for 3-4 weeks. I have used a borrowed blower to apply once: it was easier and faster to apply, but I did not think it was worth the investment in a dedicated blower. I would be interested in an adapter kit for a regular leaf blower if it were easy enough to switch in/out.

How about the redneck version, a pump up sprayer and a leaf blower, anyone ever tried that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

can anyone comment on the effect it has on other flying insects? I would rather wear bug spray than kill every bee in the area but all I hear are rumors and havent researched.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    can anyone comment on the effect it has on other flying insects? I would rather wear bug spray than kill every bee in the area but all I hear are rumors and havent researched.
    This is a good question.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I have one and use Cross Check.

It kills the shit out of most bugs.

I think I paid like $400 for the blower and it’s paid for itself in a single summer. Best thing I’ve bought in a long time.

F77958C9-71E4-4D08-86D1-3ABA7EC8FDC0.jpg

0D923209-4E22-4572-99E1-998F598195A3.jpg
    Last edited by Chessbay; 06-19-2018 at 11:58 AM.

I use a cheap pump sprayer with talstar and it works. How long it last depends on how much rain. Spray up in the trees as far as it will shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    How about the redneck version, a pump up sprayer and a leaf blower, anyone ever tried that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Like JWS said I just use a sprayer without a blower. I spray the eaves, bushes around the house, and the grass with a boom sprayer. But I think spraying the bushes does the most good for mosquitoes. The key is to try and get the underside of the leaves.

OK/. screw it. I already got a bad rap for being an ass....so here's more.

I am of the opinion that "spraying for mosquitoes" has gotten out of hand. My neighbor has gone as far as to ask ME to spray MY yard so his kids dont get bit by mosquitoes. I refuse. We have a pool. I have NEVER ONCE heard my kids complain about mosquitoes. Sure, I'll bet they have been bitten once but do i really need to go "spray for mosquitoes" every three weeks like you people talk about? Do you spend all day outside when its 100 degrees or is your wife just that much in control of everything? Or are your kids busy inside on their cell phones bc they are afraid to get bitten by a bug when they step outside?

My wife asked about it and I said I didnt like the idea bc of the by-catch. She understood and said "its not like they're that bad, anyway."

I'm wondering how many of you actually have a bad mosquito problem or you just like to do what other people do on the interweb to fit in....
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-19-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Lightning bug hating mofos

I have a bat house with estimated 250 bats, which can eat 300 mosquitoes per night. They are fun to watch just before dark and our skeeter population has thinned a bit.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

and I'll add that mosquitoes only live like a month

Same bat time every night?

same bat channel, for sure

I am of the opinion that "spraying for mosquitoes" has gotten out of hand. My neighbor has gone as far as to ask ME to spray MY yard so his kids dont get bit by mosquitoes. I refuse. We have a pool. I have NEVER ONCE heard my kids complain about mosquitoes. Sure, I'll bet they have been bitten once but do i really need to go "spray for mosquitoes" every three weeks like you people talk about? Do you spend all day outside when its 100 degrees or is your wife just that much in control of everything? Or are your kids busy inside on their cell phones bc they are afraid to get bitten by a bug when they step outside?

My wife asked about it and I said I didnt like the idea bc of the by-catch. She understood and said "its not like they're that bad, anyway."

I'm wondering how many of you actually have a bad mosquito problem or you just like to do what other people do on the interweb to fit in....
    If you really care about the bugs, you should stop putting chlorine in the pool too.

I have my yard sprayed because they were bothering my wife and kids in the pool. 15 year olds that have grown up hunting in the congaree swamp are different than 1 and 4. They were pretty bad before we sprayed las year, but haven't sprayed this year because they haven't been bad. We are out by the pool and grill every night we are home.

The house we have bought backs up to that swamp behind Kathwood Baptist, so I am sure they will be pretty rough over there.

This sprayer thing is interesting to me.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands