Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flats boat questions

Default Flats boat questions

About to be in the market for a used flats boat or similar style boat. +/- $8k budget. Gotta be small to fit in the garage so probably 16' or less with a folding tongue trailer. I know nothing about fiberglass boats, so any advice from those of you that have bought these things would be much appreciated. Looking for pros or cons for any brands, things to watch out for, etc. TIA
    Last edited by tman; 06-16-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Forgot budget
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Budget?
    Plan on poling or trolling motor more?

Check overall condition as it can tell a lot about how the boat was kept. Look for soft spots, rot etc.

Edited to include details. $8000 plus or minus on the budget. Mostly trolling.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

http://www.fultonperformance.com/pro...rxsGHZeED7ZvuS

Im no help on the boat side, but if you find what you want minus a swing tongue on a trailer you can install these.

Mitzi

Save your money for another year or two.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Even among flats boats, there are different styles. Some are designed for running and poling in extremely shallow water. They have a very wide beam and have no deadrise at the transom. They go skinny but the tradeoff is rougher ride in chop, wetter ride and poor streering. Mine is like driving a sheet of plywood with no keel. First few times you try to run it up on the trailer will be like special olympics. That style is really better suited for places with little tide change and huge shallow flats, like parts of the Keys, Texas, Bahamas, etc. On the SC coast, we have a 6' tide swing and our flats aren't so consistent in depth. Running WOT in shallows here will cost you some foot damage eventually.

Some flats boat are more suited to our area. They have more vee in the hull and are a bit narrower, moving towards a bay boat hull. It's harder to keep your balance on the poling platform if you have a novice on the bow that moves around a lot. Crossing the harbor won't leave your kidneys on the deck. Running out to the jetties might not soak you.

If it were my first salt water boat, I'd lean towards a do-everything hull, not a special purpose poling skiff. Like someone told me, if you get a poling skiff, you will get to pole your friends around because they won't be able to pole worth a damn. You can get to most fishable areas in a boat that drafts a few more inches.

Unless you are absolutely nutso for poling and sight casting for reds get something with a deeper vee and longer waterline so that you can utilize it for it other things as well. With that budget and size in mind my first thought is an original Silver King 16 would fit you best in my opine. I fit an 18' Shipoke in my garage with a removable tongue , measure and see if you can swing an 18 as it will most certainly be better utilized in all facets.
    Genesis 9;2

Hewes Redfisher 16. May be a little out of your budget, but I loved mine.

There's a beautiful gheenoe for sale in the trading post thats right in your price range....

Get yourself a 15 Boston whaler. It’s dry, rides good in rough water, and goes shallow too. I’ve had mine from the lake to 15 miles off the beach.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Get yourself a 15 Boston whaler. It’s dry, rides good in rough water, and goes shallow too. I’ve had mine from the lake to 15 miles off the beach.
    This. One of the best inshore guys I know has a 13' Montauk and wouldn't sell it for anything. Super-shallow draft, and stable enough to run out to the jetties, should you choose to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    Hewes Redfisher 16. May be a little out of your budget, but I loved mine.
    My recommendation as well, can likely find one of the old lappys with a 2 stroke for 8-10k. Look in FL as there is more availability and better prices.

I would avoid a dedicated poling skiff as said above as well. Not only are you sacrificing ride quality but you will not pole it as much as you think. I don’t have many friends I like enough to pole around on my day off.

I agree with the old Hewes boats in the 16 ft range. You'll get a boat that is very versatile and fits in the garage. I bought one several years ago and intended to a only keep it a few years so I could pole my kid around as he was getting old enough (and good enough) to sight fish. Now I'm spending a small fortune on it to get it restored/renewed since I love the damn thing so much.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I've had several and the one I miss every summer is my old action craft 1802. Should have never sold it, did everything I wanted and rode damn good in the slop for what it was. Boat prices are stupid currently and if you find a good deal you better have the cash in your hand and get there quick.

Good option just double check the year as I forget when in the late 80’s they went wood free.

Also make sure you get tabs on whatever you get as the ability to put the bow down will really help with the ride on these boats.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 06-18-2018 at 09:28 AM.

I second the old Whaler, 13 or 15' and build it like you want. Will float an elephant and get you where you want to go easily!

I really don't like the 13' whaler I have for fishing. It does however have the original layout (side console, front bench, splash well area). I'd like to put my cooler and gas tank up front but there isn't anywhere flat to put them. The "deck" up front is also tiny so you have to be really paying attention if you're trying to stand up front and fish. Standing in the back and fishing isn't very practical either because the floor is probably a couple inches below water level so you can't see anything. Not saying they aren't great boats for running to sand bars and such but for fishing i'm not convinced. Also if you built one specifically for fishing that would obviously change things too. Bought mine for the motor on it for my high tide build.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    I really don't like the 13' whaler I have for fishing. It does however have the original layout (side console, front bench, splash well area). I'd like to put my cooler and gas tank up front but there isn't anywhere flat to put them. The "deck" up front is also tiny so you have to be really paying attention if you're trying to stand up front and fish. Standing in the back and fishing isn't very practical either because the floor is probably a couple inches below water level so you can't see anything. Not saying they aren't great boats for running to sand bars and such but for fishing i'm not convinced. Also if you built one specifically for fishing that would obviously change things too. Bought mine for the motor on it for my high tide build.
    13 and 15 are a big difference
    867-5309