Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: budget bluewater rig for all around fishing

50w TLD or Tiagra, fill with braid and top with 80lb mono.

Troll some Nomad DTX minnows.

Show us what you catch!!

My buddy you met when you were in Cordova does this all the time with a tld 50 lrs. Cedar plugs and jet heads are the bait of choice.

1. White

2. Braid

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted312 View Post
    On the tug on trips we’ve made up & down the east coast, gulf, & Caribbean we’ve used parachute cord crimped to 250lb mono with the lure & have caught Dolphin, wahoo, & even a nice marlin.
    Funny you mention that. The guys on here were telling me of a fellow from Alaska that used to be stationed on this ship. Said all he used were two handlines that were 550 cord crimped to a leader. He trolled right in the prop wash closer to the ship than anyone else was trolling with rods. He supposedly caught more than everyone else combined!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Theres no such thing as an all around boat....

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Theres no such thing as an all around boat....
    I'm not looking for a boat. Just a rod and reel set up that can be used for most situations that I find myself in out here in the ocean. Not looking for a giant Penn International to drag Marlin in but would like something that can handle wahoo, dolphin, tuna, etc or whatever else I might run into while patrolling the Caribbean, and off the coast of Central and South America on both the Pacific and Atlantic sides.

I have a couple of Shimano Trevalla jigging rods at the house that will start making the trips as well. Right now they have Calcutta 400 reels on them which I think will get swapped for Avet 2 speeds or something similar for bottom fishing when anchored. I don't think the drag on those Calcuttas will cut it for anything with big shoulders. We used them for bottom fishing in California when chasing rockfish and lingcod but those were likely a little smaller than what I'll find over here.

Last edited by Ring King; 06-17-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    I'm not looking for a boat. Just a rod and reel set up that can be used for most situations that I find myself in out here in the ocean. Not looking for a giant Penn International to drag Marlin in but would like something that can handle wahoo, dolphin, tuna, etc or whatever else I might run into while patrolling the Caribbean, and off the coast of Central and South America on both the Pacific and Atlantic sides.

I have a couple of Shimano Trevalla jigging rods at the house that will start making the trips as well. Right now they have Calcutta 400 reels on them which I think will get swapped for Avet 2 speeds or something similar for bottom fishing when anchored. I don't think the drag on those Calcuttas will cut it for anything with big shoulders. We used them for bottom fishing in California when chasing rockfish and lingcod but those were likely a little smaller than what I'll find over here.

If that's the case, I'd opt for the Avet LX 6/3 MC Raptor. 28lbs at strike, 38lbs full, holds a 600yds of 65# braid and still small enough you can cast it if you want. The MX Raptor holds 300yd of 80# and has 31lbs of drag at full and is a bit smaller than the LX. The HX is as big and maybe too big for the Trevala but has 40lbs at strike and 50lbs full but is difficult to cast with IMO.

I have the MX Raptor on a Star Plasma PJS52XH and it is stout. Hard to catch smaller fish with because there isn't much feel but you can put it to a bigger fish. I can say I've never caught something with that setup and said damn, I wish I had another 20# of drag. Then again, I haven't caught a 100lb+ yellowfin on it either. Lots of AJ's, big sharks, gags, dolphin etc jigging or chunking.

EDIT to add: I just got a promo from Melton on the Penn International VISX where they'll spool it at the price with up to 500yds of braid. Tackledirect may meet or beat that price too.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 06-17-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'm thinking TLD 50 2-speed (used) while fishing stretch 30's (or the equivalent), cedar plugs, moldcraft chuggers (with bird at times). You wouldn't have to mess with bait...............drag and snag only.

Bull dolphin, bubblers, tuna darts, and a queer trolling from a submarine. This threads got it all.

If it were being me and I were being you, I'd forget about bait and focus on lures. Black and purple jets are, in my opinion, the best producers. I'm also pretty keen on moldcraft super chuggers and wide range in any color, but I lean towards darker colors for contrast.

Oh, and you might want to use cable for leader if you're concerned about teeth. And welders gloves. Pro tip.

When I was the USCG in the early 90’s we fished off Haiti & Cuba a bunch doing migrant ops & I used to use a International 30 for trolling & if we caught something the ood would slow down for us to bring the fish in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted312 View Post
    On the tug on trips we’ve made up & down the east coast, gulf, & Caribbean we’ve used parachute cord crimped to 250lb mono with the lure & have caught Dolphin, wahoo, & even a nice marlin.
    I can vouch for this. I am by no means any kind of offshore fishing guru at all, but I've spent a good bit of time on big ships that aren't fishing boats and this is what we've done. Have caught tuna, wahoo, dolphin, and marlin with that setup. You can splice a section of bungie cord into the main paracord line to absorb shock, backed by an additional longer piece of paracord in that bungie section- to hold full strength once the bungie becomes taut to the length of that additional piece of paracord (if that makes sense), to avoid pulling hooks. Unless you plan on stopping the boat and fighting the fish with the rod, I'm not sure it makes sense to have a rod and reel setup.

https://instagram.com/p/BkKXfGagWrt/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just be careful about what you call those big blue and/or yellow fish that jump a lot. If you’re in the Atlantic they’re Dolphin, on the other side they’re Dorado.

Or so I’ve been told......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Nope. If you speak English, they're called dolphin worldwide. Unless you don't like America. Or you're a spam eating democrat...or a pretentious douche.

Fish references queer trolling and then talks about super chuggers. Coincidence? I think not.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Bull dolphin, bubblers, tuna darts, and a queer trolling from a submarine. This threads got it all.

If it were being me and I were being you, I'd forget about bait and focus on lures. Black and purple jets are, in my opinion, the best producers. I'm also pretty keen on moldcraft super chuggers and wide range in any color, but I lean towards darker colors for contrast.

Oh, and you might want to use cable for leader if you're concerned about teeth. And welders gloves. Pro tip.
    Fish is right, once again....

Lures man lures! Fuck messing with meat
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    To stay in a reasonable budget with prime equipment all you need for trolling is a hand full of 8-10" bubblers or tuna darts or better both and as Salty said a Pinnacle Xlr trolling rod but I would pair with a used Penn 50 TW to keep it cheaper over the VS models. John is the guys name at Pinnacle and he has some great equipment for great prices. I might opt for a large spin casting reel and 7' rod if you ever have the ability to cast to schooling fish as you can troll with the same, bottom fish as well. A couple of large poppers, a couple of tuna darts and some bubblers and your in business.
    yep, get you a couple mold crafts(wide range and chugger) that run decent at most speeds. Id back it with braid and a top shot of slightly lesser poundage. That way if you hook something that you have no chance of bringing in, you pop at the topshot and dont loose all your line.
    Last edited by buckpro; 06-19-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.