Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Update

Default Project Update

For those wondering LOL....

The Winchester Model 70 is still at Southern Precision Rifles, getting a Bartlein #3 barrel (fluted) put on it, 22", 6.5mm Creedmoor. And the action will be bedded into the current stock, Timney trigger installed. Thunder Beast Compact Brake installed for the can. The hitch in the giddyup that developed is that the barrel has 28 tpi threading, which is something that prevents him from really truing the action. He WILL check the lugs for engagement. I think it will still end up being a strong shooter. But, for now, it's out of my hands. I'm probably ordering the scope next week - Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50mm, Fire Dot duplex. Doubt I will ever use 18x except on targets. Probably going to use Talley rings/mounts. This is a hunter, not a tactical gun.

The 6.5mm Grendel is damn near done. Waiting on a muzzle brake from Thunder Beast so I can also run that same can. It's enroute. I received the LaRue 6.5mm Grendel Ultimate Upper kit a couple of weeks ago. I paid the extra to have them assemble it, partly because I don't have the tooling and partly because I want it done right. The lower half is about 30 minutes of assembly from being done - PSA blem lower, CMC single stage trigger (straight - got it on sale), Magpul MOE fixed/full stock and rifle buffer system. Putting my Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-10x56 on it in a LaRue QD mount that I ordered when I got the kit. That way I can put a night optic on it for peegs later when I need to. Once I get the brake in and installed, I'll get it together and hopefully on the range next week. The ammo I am looking for is hard to find.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Nobody cares about the labor. Show us a baby or get back to pushing.

Haha

Yep, got to have pitchers

I'm at 10cm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Yep, got to have pitchers
    Lefty or Righties?

I lol'ed @ Glenn
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

LOL ^

That’s a cool project. I like the M70 action and would like to build another deer rifle.
    Probably a 30-06 cuz it’s the most manly cartridge ever. And they all pretty much do the job so...

Replying to your other post:
    Any accurate 16” AR will fill your role for the other post. Which is most of them.
    Picking the right scope is the hardest part.
    BCM is my pick as well. I have a lot of their stuff
    Last edited by walt4dun; 06-15-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Default Looks pretty, but can it fight?

Well, we'll find out soon.

Got the rifle back from Southern Precision Rifles a while back. Had a minor issue with the bolt that required me sending the bolt back, but that took less than a week. Since then, it's been a matter of getting the scope in and finding time to get my little end work done on it.

As an update …. SPR took my original Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in .308 and did a partial rebuild in 6.5mm Creedmoor for me. I wanted a sporter gun vs a tactical rig, and was on a budget, so I had them re-use the original factory stock with the aluminum bedding block. The gun appears to be a Columbia/FN made gun, controlled round feed, and had barrel threads of a different spec than historically used by Winchester. As a result, SPR could only work the lug engagement on the bolt - they weren't able to blueprint it. I bet it will shoot fine.

What they DID do...

• Install a Bartlein #3 stainless steel barrel, cut, crowned, and threaded at 22" with six flutes
    • Installed and timed a Thunder Beast Arms Compact Brake for my can
    • Installed a Timney trigger
    • Opened the barrel channel on my stock, removed old bedding I had put in it, and re (skim) bedded the action
    • Cerakoted the metal OD green.

They also seem to have really slicked up the action... bolt slides like it's on glass.

I mounted a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm on it (duplex with Firedot). Warne Mountain Tech 20 MOA rail (bedded with Dev Con) and Warne MT medium rings (lapped). The first base I ordered was incorrect - seems, after talking to Warne, that the action I have is a "short magnum" length - different hole spacing. Go figure. As to the bedding, the only hiccup I had was a little of the Dev Con bedding broke off at the edge when I sanded the excess down on the base - plenty of surface left.

Anyway, I plan to get to breaking in the barrel this week and seeing what it will do.

20181104_194511_resized.jpg

20181104_194550_resized.jpg

20181104_194631_resized.jpg

20181104_194700_resized.jpg

Looks nice. What was Greg’s turnaround? Considering sending some parts to him

I got it back in about 4 months.

Two questions for my ignorance. Is a rail mounted scope better than a traditional mount? And, why do people cover muzzle bakes? Thanks.

Nice build. I think those stocks were made by McMillan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    And, why do people cover muzzle bakes? Thanks.

He's covering his suppressor to reduce the mirage that comes off of it from the heat buildup.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Is a rail mounted scope better than a traditional mount?
    One piece is better than two. The rail offers more mounting posituons. For example, even with a one piece Leupold style mount or similar, he would have to position that scope nearly an inch forward from where it is now.

Sweet rifle. Post an update with how it shoots

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    One piece is better than two. The rail offers more mounting posituons. For example, even with a one piece Leupold style mount or similar, he would have to position that scope nearly an inch forward from where it is now.
    Thanks. Years ago I sent a rifle to Hill Country Rifles to be "accurized". The scope was on a one piece base and they replaced it with a two piece base saying two piece is more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    He's covering his suppressor to reduce the mirage that comes off of it from the heat buildup.
    Thanks. I was assuming he was covering the brake pictured above.