Thread: AR-15 Mk 12 SPR builds

Default AR-15 Mk 12 SPR builds

Anybody done one?

I don't know why, but I've had a bee in my ass to build one for a long time. I have all the stuff I need for the lower, and I am not really leaning towards the "classic" Mark 12 config. My lower will likely be built on a basic stripped receiver, BCM Gunfighter grip, full (rifle) A2 stock and buffer system, Geissele Hi Speed NM trigger, and good internals. The upper is where I'm going back and forth.

Option A: Buy an "off the shelf" Bravo Company assembled upper. I'm a big fan of BCM AR uppers, and their Mk 12 Mod-4X-Bravo looks interesting to me.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...2-4x-kmr15.htm

Option B: Build from scratch an upper on a White Oak SPR barrel with a good BCG.
    https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sho...st-fluted.html

I am thinking the WOA barrel might outshoot the BCM, but I like the turn-key option.

Either way, it would be topped with a good variable military grade variable scope suitable to the build (may actually go "classic" with a Leupold Mk 4 2.5-8x36mm) and run my SilencerCo Saker can on it. Want a fun, accurate gun set up for better precision than I might expect from my BCM "Recce" home build.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 06-15-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

The WOA barrels are good shooters. I’ve had a couple. Both were sub MOA with match ammo. My precision AR is one of my favorite rifles. Easy to shoot well. I’ve got a Grendel upper and a 556 upper.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    The WOA barrels are good shooters. I’ve had a couple. Both were sub MOA with match ammo. My precision AR is one of my favorite rifles. Easy to shoot well. I’ve got a Grendel upper and a 556 upper.
    I've considered that my LaRue Grendel upper could run on this lower as well. I may, for now, also get a mount for my NightForce SHV to put on the Grendel if it shoots well enough to dabble in competiton, switch between it and the Trijicon. The NF is sitting idle for now anyway, but I have it in mind longer term for a possible 224 Valkyrie build.

Frankly, I'm just trying to get all my stripped lowers built into stuff. More projects, but fun.

I had my ass spanked by a Valkyrie at the last match I shot. The guy shooting it is an exceptional shooter. His drops an mine were within a few 10th of each other out to 800 yds. Beyond that my 6.5 Creedmoor had the advantage, but it’s a very impressive cartridge out of an AR 15.

What length barrel was he using? I'm looking at this closely for the future if I decide to get into this.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sho...-valkyrie.html

I kick it around (the idea of long range competition) all the time, but I shoot PPC matches about 15+ weekends a year and it's tough to find time, but that may be improving. If I get into a bolt gun, I'd likely do like your friend with the Howa to save money.

Whatever you do, don’t go looking through the spr or mk12 threads on arfcom. Those build threads will make you spend money. I had planned on building one, but it just doesn’t do much more than my recce does. I also have a 23” Lilja 6.5 Grendel barrel heading my way so Grendel spr it is. Ballistic Advantage makes a good SPR barrel too if you end up putting it all together yourself vs buying a complete upper.

He's a gunsmith and built one of a Bartlein blank. 22" rifle gas 1-6.5 twist. I gave him a deposit for one a while back.

There is a two man team match at the Clinton House on July 15th. 2-3 MOA targets out to 800ish with some pistol thrown in. Get a partner and come shoot. Tac division is 223/308. Open is everything else. It's not gear heavy. Bipod and a rear bag is all that's allowed. It will be a laid back atmosphere and a good place to see if you like it. We'll be shooting out of vehicles, off barricades, fun stuff...

That sounds fun... I'll see if I can make it.

My muzzle brake is in, so I may see what I can whipped up anyway.

Aren't Ballistic Advantage and Aero Precision barrels one and the same now?

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    He's a gunsmith and built one of a Bartlein blank. 22" rifle gas 1-6.5 twist. I gave him a deposit for one a while back.

There is a two man team match at the Clinton House on July 15th. 2-3 MOA targets out to 800ish with some pistol thrown in. Get a partner and come shoot. Tac division is 223/308. Open is everything else. It's not gear heavy. Bipod and a rear bag is all that's allowed. It will be a laid back atmosphere and a good place to see if you like it. We'll be shooting out of vehicles, off barricades, fun stuff...
    Going to be timed plus score? Dropped target penalties?

I just went thru the closet and looked at all the misc AR parts and pieces I have and saw I
    have enough good stuff to build another. I have a BCM BFH cold hammer forged 16 chrome lined barrel , mid-length gas.
    Starting on it in about 30 minutes, now that its raining, wont be so hot out in garage

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    That sounds fun... I'll see if I can make it.

My muzzle brake is in, so I may see what I can whipped up anyway.

Aren't Ballistic Advantage and Aero Precision barrels one and the same now?
    Aero acquired BA a few years back. All of the completed uppers that aero sells are running BA barrels. I'm not sure if Aero sells the Hanson profile barrels or not, they are supposed to be BA's top shelf stuff. I have a 16' upper with one of the Hanson barrels and it's a shooter for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Going to be timed plus score? Dropped target penalties?
    Scoring will be last shot fire plus all penalties accrued. Signup is on Practiscore. Palmetto Precision Series at the Clinton House.