Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bob White

My BIL has a couple of coveys on his place down in GA. I jumped one of them on the way to a deer stand one morning, in the pitch black dark. I had to clean my pants out and put my heart back into my chest.

That video was cool!!
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

I have been hearing and seeing what seems to me to be a good many around the Pee Dee.

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    My BIL has a couple of coveys on his place down in GA. I jumped one of them on the way to a deer stand one morning, in the pitch black dark. I had to clean my pants out and put my heart back into my chest.

That video was cool!!
    Hell ive about had to clean my pants after jumping a covey rabbit hunting one morning.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I have been hearing and seeing what seems to me to be a good many around the Pee Dee.
    Yeah they are making a comeback no doubt. And I haven't seen any yelling roll tide, so I don't think the coveys around me are inbred.

The coveys are getting larger and more plentiful around my haunts. My opinion is that the old cost share programs to plant pines in the 80's and 90's is what decimated the populations.

Cool video! I hear them all the time around the house but yet to lay eyes on one.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

I whistled that one in, he was already covey calling and when I answered he ran 75 yards or so from the wood line right up to within 6' of me sitting on the porch edge. I've called them up plenty of times but was still fairly amazed as fast as he came. After a little bit he started the bob white call and did so for a good while hanging around in the yard till dusk. This morning I heard him out there again as I poured my coffee. We heard several around here last summer off in the distance and some covey calling last fall way off. I am sure there are a few but we usually don't see them too much. The last time I saw a covey around here there were about 8 birds maybe. I've seen quail do a "strut" similar to a turkey with wings down, puffed up and fan spread. In each instance there were chicks and it was a parent coming toward me in an aggressive display after I'd whistled a chick distress. I raised a ton of them as a kid.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Somebody’s say my name?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way he came running a strutter decoy would have had him in your lap. Maybe reaping quail will become the new thing!
    Low country redneck who moved north

Heard my first one in years about three years ago up on Liberty Hill WMA. I heard at least two on Forty Acre Rock WMA this year just about every morning I hunted up there. Called him in a couple different mornings.

They're all over my house in Hampton Co on the Allendale Co line. 8 chicks last night...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Very cool, Old boy was lonely wasn't he leaving a dust trail across that bare spot was super neat.
    Genesis 9;2

My place has a few coveys on it. Every year I make it home I go check on them. They usually are hanging around the same area year after year. I hope one day I can show my boy how to shoot wild quail

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Bob is still hanging around the place daily, usually around the woodshed and garden area. I'm now suspecting he's a released bird but no idea from where. Not spooky or overly concerned as long as you keep a bit of distance. Anyone who knows wild quail knows that ain't normal. Either way, he is a welcome guest as long as he wants to stay.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Bob is still hanging around the place daily, usually around the woodshed and garden area. I'm now suspecting he's a released bird but no idea from where. Not spooky or overly concerned as long as you keep a bit of distance. Anyone who knows wild quail knows that ain't normal. Either way, he is a welcome guest as long as he wants to stay.
    Actually, it's pretty normal.
    They are regulars this time of year around my yard, garden, barn, and our lodge grounds.
    They get up all under the barn for the shade, grain, and overhead cover and pay you no mind as long as their personal space is not invaded.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Maybe so. Hope he is wild, would love to see them become a regular thing again. He's a likeable sort.

That's cool.

Yeah...i fancy watching them do their thing as well!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I've never witnessed them extensively until moving to Hampton County. I'm fascinated with them now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Love that sound.