Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Gun for Concealed Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    It would be cheaper to send off your lower half to a reputable company that does grip alterations. I'm happy I'm getting issued a Gen 5, but I'm not jumping up and upgrading to Gen 5's over my Gen 4's.
    Well, mine is FDE, so I'd have to get it coated again. It would be a good idea since I've changed some internals, but I still have the factory stuff I could drop back in.

(Actually, since some internals are different, I guess my parts wouldn't just "drop-in".)

I'm on the fence, but may just leave well-enough alone.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

On a real note. You have a cop, a marine, a former marine, and myself all glock fans and then everyone else talking about other bullshit
    Not a considence
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

DC,

you welcome to run a couple hundred rounds through my G19.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    On a real note. You have a cop, a marine, a former marine, and myself all glock fans and then everyone else talking about other bullshit
    Not a considence
    Get around folks of similar experience in person and you’ll likely pick up on the same general consensus. 17/43 for work and 19/43 when I’m off.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

And me, I carry a Glock. I consider it my only ugly gun.

I would shoot each of the pistols you’re contemplating. The triggers and grips all feel very different and they all point differently. It took a lot of rounds for me to be able to shoot a Glock well. The beaty of the Glock is, they’re reliable and any idiot can work on one and parts are cheap.
    I really like the Shield 2.0 and can shoot it almost as well as a full sized pistol. Better concealed carry gun than the rest IMO.

I'm happy I'm getting issued a Gen 5, but I'm not jumping up and upgrading to Gen 5's over my Gen 4's.
    SR, did you find the change to the Gen 4 over the Gen 3 worth it, or is it just another personal preference thing?

And if at some point I were to 'upgrade' from the G19/Gen 3, is there any particular reason (other then the grooves vs no grooves) to go with the Gen 4 vs Gen 5?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    SR, did you find the change to the Gen 4 over the Gen 3 worth it, or is it just another personal preference thing?

And if at some point I were to 'upgrade' from the G19/Gen 3, is there any particular reason (other then the grooves vs no grooves) to go with the Gen 4 vs Gen 5?
    Woodie, for me, the biggest benefit to the gen4 is the interchangeable backstraps.

I have a gen3 g23 that I've owned for nearly 16 years (I think) and while it is a great gun, the smaller backstrap on the gen4 gun feels much better in my hands. Gen5 will probably feel even better with lack of finger grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Not a considence
    That's why I asked on here and trust me yall's opinion carries more weight than others. Ill look at the glocks again but definitely won't buy one until after shooting one. I have no doubt or reservations about their reliability.

I laid a Glock, sig, and m&p side by side on the gun counter yesterday. Picked a target on the wall and picked them all up multiple times and pointed to the target. The sig and m&p seemed to point straight to where I wanted them. The Glock not so much, seemed like I'd have to adjust my head and the gun every time to get it on target.
    I'm sure with some practice I could probably easily overcome that
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

The muzzle high tendency of the Glock is by design. Most people “ milk the grip” pushing the muzzle down, under stress, especially with a heavy duty style trigger. Glocks grip angle helps with that.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post
    Well, mine is FDE, so I'd have to get it coated again.
    If the frame is FDE, the color is molded in unless you painted it. Shouldn't be any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    The changes between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks were, in my honest opinion, so minor as to be inconsequential if you already have a Gen 3. I actually find the factory trigger in the Gen 3 to be smoother. The best thing about the Gen 4 guns were the mags with the ambi release notches and maybe the recoil springs (supposed to soften recoil). The only issue we had with Gen 3 Model 22's is that they would sometimes fail to feed when we ran a TLR light on the gun. According to someone at Glock, it was a "stacking of tolerances" issue that had to do with magazine spring tension and frame flex in recoil. When you put a Gen 4 mag in the gun, or ran a Gen 4 spring in the Gen 3 mag body, it worked fine. The changes from Gen 4 to 5 are more significant, and they still make both guns. I will have to sign a lot of us up for the updated armorer's class that covers Gen 5 work to see if there is any voodoo going on.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    The muzzle high tendency of the Glock is by design. Most people “ milk the grip” pushing the muzzle down, under stress, especially with a heavy duty style trigger. Glocks grip angle helps with that.
    Yeah, what has run me nuts is the few times I've tried to run a RDS on someone's Glock and I feel that I have to push the muzzle down to pick up the dot. I used to think I wanted one of those set ups ... now, I'm not so sure. I have 28 years of Glock 22 muscle memory working against me.

Back on the Sig P365... it's a different beast. I'm not planning on getting one since I have a G43, but it's about the size of a Glock 43 with a ten round capacity and a decent trigger.

As mentioned, the best thing to me about Glocks, other than simply long term exposure to them, is ease of maintenance and upgrades (upgrades within reason).

My "church" gun is normally a Glock 43 ... my EDC when my clothing will conceal it comfortably is a Glock 19 Gen 4 with Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P loads. Spare mags I carry are Glock 17 mags - if I have to run a reload in a gun fight, I don't give a damn if it's hanging out the bottom. Probably going to put +2 floorplates on those, too, and likely will on my issued mags until told not to. With one in the gun and two spares (normal duty load) and +2's, that's enough ammo. If I need more, I should have my rifle. Besides, a pistol's best role is to fight your way to your rifle.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 06-15-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

SwampRat, mine was a lot of purchased guns that were Cerakoted by a factory authorized dealer.

I had to trace down the origin via serial number.

SwampRat, mine was a lot of purchased guns that were Cerakoted by a factory authorized dealer.

I had to trace down the origin via serial number.
    Yeah, that changes things.

Also, the 19X is interesting if a full frame bottom half doesn't bother you. I haven't shot one, but I've heard nothing but positive. Waiting for black ones to come out.

Yeah, that changes things.

Also, the 19X is interesting if a full frame bottom half doesn't bother you. I haven't shot one, but I've heard nothing but positive. Waiting for black ones to come out.
    I had kinda thought about that, but that'd make it even harder to conceal.

I'll probably just stick with what I've got. I shoot it just fine...(though I do shoot my Pro Shop ported Shield with Apex trigger much better).

Last edited by USMCsilver; 06-15-2018 at 01:27 PM.

I had kinda thought about that, but that'd make it even harder to conceal.

I'll probably just stick with what I've got. I shoot it just fine...(though I do shoot my Pro Shop ported Shield with Apex trigger much better).
    The Apex kit in a Shield makes it a different animal for sure. I have a friend shooting and carrying that same setup in 45 and he loves it.

I have a Shield, like it, it shoots well.... but I always come back to the G43. I'm about to buy a used G42 for my wife (she's a bit recoil sensitive, but I'm working on that).

I really despise almost everything about 380's - the only 380 I have is a LCP that is literally a tertiary carry for me in one particular situation.

SR.. What +2’s do run/recommend? Reliability has been my primary hesitation.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

So, I went to Palmetto State Armory after lunch.
    Yesterday I looked at the Gen 4, today I looked at the Gen 5. It felt like there was a world of difference between the two and the Gen 5 pointed as well as any other gun I've looked at.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by tjm84 View Post
    SR.. What +2’s do run/recommend? Reliability has been my primary hesitation.
    For the money, Glock. I have a Pierce that I'm not 100% sold on. OEM works fine though. There are others out there that may be better, but they are higher than giraffe....

For those running without added cap floorplates, I see a lot of folks running the Tango Down oversized ones as well, and they have a good rep. There are a few limited instances when they may come in handy.

Taran tactical makes good mag extensions. I'm carrying a 43 with a +1 right now and it's about the same size as the factory flush baseplate. I carry the 43 for work (tucked in shirt) and a 19 everywhere else.

Taran Tactical is the go-to adaptor for 43's, if you have the coin.