Thread: Shopping cell phone plans

Default Shopping cell phone plans

Last discussion on this was back in January 2016. Looks like I'm losing my work phone and will need to purchase a private one. I like to be able to check my emails, maybe a couple a day if that, use it for directions when I don't know where I'm going, checking Google once in awhile, and being entertained here. What plan should I look at?

We just upgraded with Cricket. 3 lines for $90. Unlimited talk, text, and data. Coverage is everywhere. 2 androids and an iPhone. My wife watches Netflix on hers. I check email, get on fb, check in here, and text all day long.

Sprint is running a promo. $15 per month. Ends 6/15. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ers/685653002/

I'm on Straight talk, $45. No complaints. I left Verizon for it and there was no change in service.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I'm on Straight talk, $45. No complaints. I left Verizon for it and there was no change in service.
    It's the same network, right? I need to look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    It's the same network, right? I need to look into this.
    They say it is, and it seems to be. I've heard that they bounce between Verizon and AT&T, depending on service, but I don't know if that's true.
    Go Tigers!

Pretty sure they have access to both but it's an either or scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
    Sprint is running a promo. $15 per month. Ends 6/15. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ers/685653002/
    Transferring carriers only.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

I have to do the same thing within the next two weeks.
    Since I have had the same number with work for 13 years, I bought the phone and phone number
    from our IT dept. $100 for new iPhone they had just given me. The phone is with Verizon currently
    but when I separate the company is providing me with a letter releasing and transferring the number and phone to me.
    Wondering if I will have to have a plan with Verizon or can I shop it around.

I have to do the same thing within the next two week.
    Since I have had the same number with work for 13 years, I bought the phone and phone number
    from our IT dept. $100 for new iPhone they had just given me. The phone is with Verizon currently
    but when I separate the company is providing me with a letter releasing and transferring the number and phone to me.
    Wondering if I will have to have a plan with Verizon or can I shop it around.
    I went through the same thing a few years ago. I had the option to take the number with me. In my case I went from ATT to Verizon.

One thing you will have to check is to be sure the actual phone will work on their network. You should be pretty good with an iphone. But I checked Straight talk earlier and it said mine couldn't be transferred which surprised me since it's the latest pixel.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I went through the same thing a few years ago. I had the option to take the number with me. In my case I went from ATT to Verizon.

One thing you will have to check is to be sure the actual phone will work on their network. You should be pretty good with an iphone. But I checked Straight talk earlier and it said mine couldn't be transferred which surprised me since it's the latest pixel.
    Not surprising but their iPhones run a few years behind and they are pretty fairly priced. They always run deals at Christmas both in store and online. I picked up a couple 6’s for $199 each last year.
    Go Tigers!

The family has been using BOOST Mobile back before anyone had no contract, unlimited everything. No complaints. They make you buy your phone, they have never played the bogus "free phone game." There are so many that offer that now. I have a provided Verizon phone and can tell you their coverage is better in all but a few areas (like Lake Marion.) . Just make sure if you change carriers that the serivce is good where youu actually go. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero