Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SCDNR Turkey survey

Quote Originally Posted by dirtnap View Post
    I agree with everything you said except for the bass fishing part and extinct turkeys.

You can sure tell turkey season is out. I can't wait wait until next year, hope to get my first one!
    BWHAHAHAHA!
    You ain't got time to be posting here. You got grass to cut.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

And the gobbler's roost forum needs a "safe place" sub forum for those who are harboring turkey hunting insecurity issues.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    And the gobbler's roost forum needs a "safe place" sub forum for those who are harboring turkey hunting insecurity issues.
    Maybe call it the "Spur Zone"?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Well I wouldn't expect you would to be there nor myself.

To the "set the limit, but don't tell me how to hunt crowd" would you rather lower/set the limit to accommodate more people harvesting a turkey because of all the modern controversial methods such as reaping, strutters, etc.? Because that's basically what you are saying.

I dont really care enough about turkey hunting one way or the other. I do it occasionally when I dont have anything else to do. What I would be very wary of is being overly cooperative with new laws/changes bc Iet you can work your way right out of a turkey season all together. People are quick to point fingers at a single reason for population decline. I honestly don’t even know that many folks that hunt turkeys. I do kind of wonder about the people who fill their tags though and then take others to fill theirs when they likely would not have otherwise. How come no one is talking about burning in this thread ? Maybe the survey should ask about yalls burning practices.

Also, I hunted ~5x with a strutter decoy this year and guess how many birds I killed? 0. Saw hens in range and some birds out of range but never pulled the trigger. There were birds around but the strutter was no magic bullet for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    To the "set the limit, but don't tell me how to hunt crowd" would you rather lower/set the limit to accommodate more people harvesting a turkey because of all the modern controversial methods such as reaping, strutters, etc.? Because that's basically what you are saying.
    Nope, they've already said they gonna cut it to 30 days state wide.

I'm to the point I just want it back the way it was and 5 birds. Or if you don't have many birds in your county then a biologist should decide to cut it back for that county, not a law that covers the whole state. If your county is healthy but you don't have many turkeys on your land, then tough shit, you should have managed for them better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    It would be nice if they let me and my turkey hunting elitist buddies and fellow poets hunt and then outlaw all turkey hunting for everyone else. One could hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    I dont really care enough about turkey hunting one way or the other. I do it occasionally when I dont have anything else to do. What I would be very wary of is being overly cooperative with new laws/changes bc Iet you can work your way right out of a turkey season all together. People are quick to point fingers at a single reason for population decline. I honestly don’t even know that many folks that hunt turkeys. I do kind of wonder about the people who fill their tags though and then take others to fill theirs when they likely would not have otherwise. How come no one is talking about burning in this thread ? Maybe the survey should ask about yalls burning practices.

Also, I hunted ~5x with a strutter decoy this year and guess how many birds I killed? 0. Saw hens in range and some birds out of range but never pulled the trigger. There were birds around but the strutter was no magic bullet for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like I said yesterday, expect more surveys that will be geared towards different criteria surrounding the subject at hand IE habitat management.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Are y'all really that upset about a tele-check/internet based system?! I always thought the SC tags were a pain in the rear end. They also left a lot of data on the table.

I can't remember when NC implemented the internet system, but we used to have actual tags to attach to the animal. Now we notch the "harvest report card" and register the kill. We are given a authorization code to write on the report card. It's really not as bad a system as you may think. One nice feature is the fact you can track real-time "harvest" data (within the legal reporting period). No check system is going to prevent the renegades from doing their thing.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter