Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Food Plots

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Can I go back and plant over the top without having to disk again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    that would be the plan. weed control is important. $25/50lb for RR ready beans makes sense for this application.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

We just keep throwing them out there until we are out of seed or September 15th. (Whichever comes first). Our deer herd density is pretty damned high. Now that most of the trees are gone this year will be interesting on watching the property transition into a cutover/ pine plantation in renewal phase.. Fall of 2019 should be wicked.. This year may be too.. we are planting a bunch of new spots , since the landowner was kind enough to open them up..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Hang corn bags sprayed down with WD-40 and you will not have a problem
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Stake out a small exclusion fence to give yourself an idea of how hard they are grazing it. Make a decision about protection after the level of pressure is evident.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Quit explaining yourself. It’s your food plots, plant them and protect them how you want.
    Completely agree with this. It's the internet. Some of these people critiquing you haven't planted a thing.

Plot looks good. They will mow it down. It will feed the deer. Plan to do it again before deer season and feed them some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
    Stake out a small exclusion fence to give yourself an idea of how hard they are grazing it. Make a decision about protection after the level of pressure is evident.
    After that rant, I will add that this is a good suggestion. It will surprise you how much browsing they are actually doing. Nothing fancy. 2 ft circle of wire and a post.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 06-12-2018 at 11:55 AM.

i dont need an exclusion cage in a june pea/bean plot. I can see the stalks without leaves. Those are the ones the deer ate.

stupid georgia fans. I swear.

HARUMPH!

(otherwise, its a good idea to use a cage...but IMO its for those silly "mixes" so you can see what the hell is going on)

Those plots look good. The deer are going to love them once they find them.

I think the main thing to ask yourself is what are your goals for the plots? My experience is the more often you can keep deer coming to your food plots, the more deer (and bucks) you see during deer season. Especially after a few years when deer that were once 1.5 and visiting daily return when they are 4.5 and 5.5.

This is the reason that I like clover. Once planted, it can be maintained for years and it will keep food in your food plots 365 days per year. If you want to plow and replant each year, there are several mixes that include oats, wheat, and different types of clover that will give you food for about 11 months out of the year.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i dont need an exclusion cage in a june pea/bean plot. I can see the stalks without leaves. Those are the ones the deer ate.

i know, right? its like I'm captain obvious.

here's my rub with clover: my deer dont like it as much as a bean (or a pea, for that matter). Maybe its regional and likely seasonal? I aint know...but I plan to fertilize a section of clover and see if i can turn them on to it.

stupid georgia fans. I swear.

HARUMPH!

(otherwise, its a good idea to use a cage...but IMO its for those silly "mixes" so you can see what the hell is going on)

KRT told me I didn't have to explain myself to you.

Besides the OP is going to put up a 14 strand electric fence after reading this thread and soak the posts in plot saver with a hole filled up with pochonite.

here's my rub with clover: my deer dont like it as much as a bean (or a pea, for that matter). Maybe its regional and likely seasonal? I aint know...but I plan to fertilize a section of clover and see if i can turn them on to it.
    Or maybe its the fact that you aren't planing in the middle of a pine plantation and they actually have an option to eat beans? Just a thought.

I thought you only planted Joint Vetch. I remember following your lead and the deer loved it.

Also, if deer are mowing down pea/ soybean patches,.....either you have too many deer or too small of plots.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 06-12-2018 at 12:22 PM.

agree, cd...

i still love vetch but was way too wet in april to get it going this year. the great thing about vetch is it is the only forage I have ever planted that deer liked AND could handle the browse.

I love clover , because turkeys feast on it - and the bugs that live in there.

Peas and beans are a great August/ early Sept food source.. especially in the PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Those plots look good. The deer are going to love them once they find them.

I think the main thing to ask yourself is what are your goals for the plots? My experience is the more often you can keep deer coming to your food plots, the more deer (and bucks) you see during deer season. Especially after a few years when deer that were once 1.5 and visiting daily return when they are 4.5 and 5.5.

This is the reason that I like clover. Once planted, it can be maintained for years and it will keep food in your food plots 365 days per year. If you want to plow and replant each year, there are several mixes that include oats, wheat, and different types of clover that will give you food for about 11 months out of the year.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I would say 9 times out of 10 deer prefer beans and peas over clover

I've just never been able to plant a space big enough for it to make it more than a few weeks. The times we've planted it, we planted it the first of September with plans of bow hunting it for the opener, then plowing and planting oats/clover after for the rest of the fall.

I’m going to stop by the property on the way home from the beach Sunday and take a look at a few of them and see how they look. It should at least give me an idea of how hard they are eating it.

We got a bunch arraign yesterday I believe so it should continue to shoot up fairly quickly.

Couple more

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I would say 9 times out of 10 deer prefer beans and peas over clover

I've just never been able to plant a space big enough for it to make it more than a few weeks. The times we've planted it, we planted it the first of September with plans of bow hunting it for the opener, then plowing and planting oats/clover after for the rest of the fall.
    I do something similar, plant peas 3 or 4 times throughout the summer and bowhunt over them in August. Then replant in September with a fall mixture (wheat/oats/clover etc) to hunt over the rest of the fall.

b--some rain would be nice

b--some rain would be nice
    I think we got a good bit yesterday.