Thread: King Tide Questions

Default King Tide Questions

Planned a beach trip based off tide times for fishing in August. Come to find out there is a King Tide that falls during this period. Can Capt Tom or anyone with experience with such events given me any insight or advice on what to expect fishing wise inshore, what to target species wise or water wise? I do have an 18' flats boat and figured this may be prime time to fish the grass flats but also figured it may have a negative outcome also. I just have no experience with a king tide and don't know what to expect positive or negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Lazy is not a virtue of a duck hunter.

high water and fish on the flats- don't miss it

I fished it one time. We did well.

Where are you going? My Birthday is in August, you got room, need date's. We can make this happen
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Spring tides (moon tides) happen twice a month on the full and new moon. The tide will be highest around 8-9 o'clock morning and evening on the peak days. Go to where you can find expansive grass flats that are well drained with little creeks a couple hours before dead high and watch for any swirls. It doesn't take long to learn to tell the difference between spottails and bait. The fish will get as shallow as they can on the rising tide and start to retreat AS SOON as the the tide turns.

I’ll be fishing the North Edisto. I’ll be fishing the 6th-11th. King tides are suppose to fall on the 9th-13th. Appreciate the advice so far.

Only local TV news weather forecasters call them king tides.

On moon tides, the highs are higher than normal and the lows are lower than normal so you have swifter currents in between. Except for flooded grass fishing, I generally prefer to fish around low tides on quarter moon tides.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Where are you going? My Birthday is in August, you got room, need date's. We can make this happen
    There’s sure to be passion abound for all involved..
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    ...On moon tides, the highs are higher than normal and the lows are lower than normal so you have swifter currents in between. Except for flooded grass fishing, I generally prefer to fish around low tides on quarter moon tides.
    I agree with this. With some looking, you can find grass flats that will have fish in them at sub 6 foot tides. I prefer the less extreme high tides for sight fishing redfish because the fish will be covered up completely when too much water comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Only local TV news weather forecasters call them king tides.

On moon tides, the highs are higher than normal and the lows are lower than normal so you have swifter currents in between. Except for flooded grass fishing, I generally prefer to fish around low tides on quarter moon tides.
    This duckiller guy is from spartanburg. He knows exactly dick about a tide. He might as well be a yankee.

Anyway, they're not King tides. They're perigeal spring tides.

King Tide? Lived around the salt water my whole life and never heard of it called that

What He said.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    King Tide? Lived around the salt water my whole life and never heard of it called that
    State has it seems.
    http://www.scdhec.gov/HomeAndEnviron...elp/mindex.htm

I asked advice because I don’t know everything which others here think they do obviously. Appreciate the sound advice from the few!

First rule for fishing is, just go when work and the weather both allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    This duckiller guy is from spartanburg. He knows exactly dick about a tide. He might as well be a yankee.
    That can't be...he has a flats boat bruh!

Quote Originally Posted by duckiller View Post
    State has it seems.
    http://www.scdhec.gov/HomeAndEnviron...elp/mindex.htm

I asked advice because I don’t know everything which others here think they do obviously. Appreciate the sound advice from the few!
    you got the right advice....it just wasnt what you wanted. The correct answer is "king tides dont mean shit" for your fishing. Go where the water is. If its high tide, you can go more places.

Do you actually understand tides? Maybe we should start there?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.