Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mallard Limit Cut

Nowadays duck hunting in SC reminds me of a dove shoot.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 06-08-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    I ain't rich like them bastards around Santee that rent a blind for $30000 just to shoot ringers and tamies.All I got is public hunting so duck ponds complicate the public situation.rich people can plant corn and flood it and then if I put corn in the water...I'm the bad guy.what kind of reasoning is that?
    I've been saying it for years but back in the seventies and early eighties, people used to kill some good ducks over corn. Baiting was only a minor state offense. About like baiting deer used to be. You just did it till you got caught, pay the fine, and go back to it. The federal protection under the migratory bird treaty act fucked that all up. Baiting really wasn't a big deal then because duck hunters were few and far between. It would be devastating these days with numbers of hunters.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 06-08-2018 at 03:34 PM.

I ain't rich like them bastards around Santee that rent a blind for $30000 just to shoot ringers and tamies.All I got is public hunting so duck ponds complicate the public situation.rich people can plant corn and flood it and then if I put corn in the water...I'm the bad guy.what kind of reasoning is that?
    First thing I would do, instead saying dumb shit on the internet, would be to go make some money so you can get rich and level the playing field.......

You have your views and I got mine and I'm sticking to it.i don't need to be rich to shoot ducks.i rather hunt public and see what God made instead of sitting in a field in the same spot over and over again.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 06-08-2018 at 03:45 PM.

You have your views and I got mine and I'm sticking to it.i don't need money to shoot ducks.i rather hunt public and see what God made instead of sitting in a field in the same spot over and over again.
    Then why try and make private ponds illegal? If you'd rather hunt public land than leave those who choose to hunt private alone. Unless you want everyone else hunting public with you.

Private ponds in my opinion killed public hunting harvest numbers because of not being able to utilize natural food sources.Instead I see ducks just jumping from pond to pond.Nobody can argue that the public resources dnr has in it's disposal aren't being used to it's full potential.We could implement moist soil management areas and set a hunting till noon time limit like out west,but everyone knows that it won't never happen.

Wha in da Tennessee frawg bak scrachn whorl ya tryna say?
    Genesis 9;2

Default Mallard Limit Cut

QUOTE=Rabbitman09;2489052

What about having the season stretch over the same timeframe, but say only allow hunting on mondays, and Friday and Saturday. I believe we run all of our ducks off with the amount of pressure they receive.

Great idea for public water to reduce pressure. Other idea is putting ticket stations like parking decks at the boat ramps. Only allow a certain amount to hunt per day. This would reduce camping out in spots bc you’d have to have the ticket dated day of the hunt in your possession. First come first serve and no hunting after noon and no tickets before a certain time in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by codeman216; 06-08-2018 at 05:41 PM.

And fuck all this "scouting" bullshit. Running up birds is probably about as bad as shooting at them. I have never driven around in a boat to scout public water other than find a decent looking bank to set up on in a new area but that was in the middle of the day. I learned decent spots by trail and error. Now, when I hunt public, I hunt the same areas year after year bc they produce. Need to outlaw "scouting" for real.

Scouting time is now while your out fishing. Look for areas that look like ducks may like or may pass by and try them in hunting season. If they don't work out, scratch them. Try somewhere else.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 06-08-2018 at 06:04 PM.

That's some class A dumb shit right there. ^
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    That's some class A dumb shit right there. ^
    Oh yeah....running up ducks is cool! People can't believe it when they hunt a spot they ran up ducks the day before and they didn't show up! Or the people who clearly see a raft of birds and feel the need to drive through them.

So you’re saying if you bump ducks out a hole they won’t come back?
    Hey big man lemme hol a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Oh yeah....running up ducks is cool! People can't believe it when they hunt a spot they ran up ducks the day before and they didn't show up! Or the people who clearly see a raft of birds and feel the need to drive through them.
    You do know you can scout with out running up birds... It's really not that hard

He's saying scouting is running ducks out. He's associated scouting with driving boats through rafts of ducks. He's associated scouting with jumping ducks out of areas where they fly away never to be seen in that spot the next day. He also has said without saying it completely he doesn't know what scouting is. Because he just hunts places based off -they were killed in here last year bo, might get lucky tomorrow idea. Great idea.

Ban something you aren't doing effectively. I got ya
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I’ve killed a Plenty of birds that jumped up and came back within a couple hours with that being said I’ve never drove a boat into a raft of ducks intentionally or unintentionally. I do know of people running ducks out setting up and then killing ducks so what I’m trying to say is everything that guy just said is bull shit.
    Hey big man lemme hol a dollar.

That is not scouting. Scouting is not riding around in a boat going through spots to see if you can find birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    That is not scouting. Scouting is not riding around in a boat going through spots to see if you can find birds.

You can do all the scouting you need right now. Ride and find backwater, points, etc. no need to "scout" in hunting season.

You can do all the scouting you need right now. Ride and find backwater, points, etc. no need to "scout" in hunting season.
    Yea if your scouting local wood ducks.

That is finding spots to sit not birds to hunt.

Say the sc coast for instance. I've got a spot that I sit that is in between some private land. If they are hunting either spots in front of behind me, we kill between 4 to ten ducks. If they arnt hunting those places, 1 or 2. They ducks do not want to be there so that's where decoys come into play. Scout all you want, the location of where you is sitting is whata important. If you want kill wood ducks, then yes, scout and find the backwater where the acorns are dropping.

I'm glad every finds their spots from jumping up birds bc my spot is always open! Even on opening day! You want see any birds there except for the occasional buffleheads.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 06-10-2018 at 01:18 PM.