Thread: There can be only one

Default There can be only one

A Texas man decapitated a rattlesnake. It bit him anyway and he nearly died, his wife says.

By Allyson Chiu
    June 7 at 4:19 AM

For Jennifer and Jeremy Sutcliffe, it was supposed to be a relaxing day at home. A daughter and granddaughter were coming to visit. A family cookout was planned for later in the afternoon.

But by the end of that day in late May, Jeremy Sutcliffe would be in a coma, his body ravaged by rattlesnake venom and doctors unsure whether the 40-year-old would survive.

It all started with some yard work.

To prepare for the day’s festivities, Jennifer told The Washington Post that she and her husband decided to tidy up the yard of their home near Lake Corpus Christi in southern Texas.

Jennifer was working in a flower bed when she discovered an invader that was much more sinister than pesky weeds. Hiding among her flowers was a four-foot-long Western diamondback rattlesnake.

“I reached down to pull out a little area of grass that was growing around one of my flowers, and I almost grabbed the snake,” she said. “The snake was not happy about that at all. It came up with its head, so I screamed.”

Alerted by his wife’s panic, Jeremy came over with a shovel and decapitated the snake, a move that for many other animals would have meant swift death.

But what the Sutcliffes didn’t know is that snakes can still bite and inject venom for at least an hour, if not more, after being decapitated. So when Jeremy went to pick up the snake’s head about 10 minutes later, he never expected it to bite him in the hand, Jennifer said.

“I heard him screaming that it had bit him,” said Jennifer, who was in the house at the time. “I ran out there, and he was able to get the snake ripped off his hand.”

Then, chaos ensued.

The head and body of the Western diamondback rattlesnake that bit Jeremy Sutcliffe. (Courtesy of Jennifer Sutcliffe)
    Jennifer, who is a nurse, immediately got Jeremy into the car and dialed 911 to figure out which of the local hospitals had antivenin. She learned that the nearest hospital that could save her husband was a little over an hour away. They had made it about two miles when Jeremy started losing consciousness, suffering from loss of vision and having mini-seizures, Jennifer said.

“When he was going in and out he said, ‘If I die, I love you,’ ” she said, adding that Jeremy told the same thing to his daughter while they waited for an ambulance. “I think he was pretty scared.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Jennifer was scared, too, but tried to stay positive.

“I was telling him that he was going to be okay,” she said. “I kept reassuring him that the ambulance was on its way, just trying to keep him awake.”

He was eventually airlifted to Christus Spohn Shoreline Hospital, Jennifer said.

At the hospital, Jennifer was told her husband was going into septic shock, had internal bleeding and that his blood pressure was consistently “bottoming out.” Eventually, Jeremy was put into an induced coma and placed on a ventilator. His organs had started shutting down, his wife said.

“There was actually three different times in the first 24 hours that the doctors told me that they didn’t think he was going to make it,” Jennifer said. “As a nurse, knowing what they were talking about was scary. I kept talking to him while he was in a coma, and I kept telling him to fight it, and he made it through.”

Jeremy came out of his coma May 31 and is now in stable condition, Jennifer said. He had been treated with 26 doses of antivenin. Doctors told her a normal bite is usually treated with two to four doses.

But Jeremy has a lengthy recovery ahead of him, his wife said, as he is still showing signs of weakened kidneys.

She said her husband has thought about that Sunday morning and talks about wishing he could go back and do just one thing differently.

“The smart thing would have been for him to scoop it up with a shovel of course instead of trying to reach down and pick it up with his hand,” she said, adding that Jeremy had no idea the snake wasn’t completely dead. A better option, experts say, is to call animal control to have the snake safely removed.

Although being attacked by a severed snake head seems unusual, Sean Bush, a snake expert at the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University told NBC News in 2014 that it’s “very common” for snake heads to still bite because it’s “a last-ditch effort to survive.” In 2014, a Chinese chef was reportedly killed by the head of a spitting cobra as he prepared to serve its body for soup, according to the China Daily.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f2dba37e7d2e

Don't pick up the decapitated head of a venomous snake....check. (Kind of thought everyone knew that.....everyone but Jeremy Sutcliffe I guess) LOL
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Don't pick up the decapitated head of a venomous snake....check. (Kind of thought everyone knew that.....everyone but Jeremy Sutcliffe I guess) LOL

What the hell did he do, pick it up by the fangs? Being a dumbass is hard.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

I guy a used to work with cut the head off of a snake and when he picked up the body, the headless stump hit him on the wrist. He said he almost pooped his pants.

She said her husband has thought about that Sunday morning and talks about wishing he could go back and do just one thing differently.
    If he would have been in church that morning, the spawn of Satan wouldn’t have bit him, just sayin.....

24607EC6-FB0D-4D3D-9F7B-BB58CCE3F49C.jpeg
    Last edited by MDman; 06-08-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

I heard about this on the radio this morning. What a maroon

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    He probably reached past the shovel to grab the snake head.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I guy a used to work with cut the head off of a snake and when he picked up the body, the headless stump hit him on the wrist. He said he almost pooped his pants.
    That's an almost predictable response. I killed a big canebrake years ago when I did such things, and cut it's head off. A guy I hunted with was scared shitless of snakes, but he gathered up courage enough to try to cut the rattles off the rest of the body. I had a good idea what was about to happen and just watched. This was long before cell phones, or I'da surreptitiously video'd it.

He put his knife on the base of the tail and bore down, and that stump end whipped around and popped him on the arm. Left a perfect bloody circle. He screamed and went to jumping around, and I damn near pissed myself laughing.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    That's an almost predictable response. I killed a big canebrake years ago when I did such things, and cut it's head off. A guy I hunted with was scared shitless of snakes, but he gathered up courage enough to try to cut the rattles off the rest of the body. I had a good idea what was about to happen and just watched. This was long before cell phones, or I'da surreptitiously video'd it.

He put his knife on the base of the tail and bore down, and that stump end whipped around and popped him on the arm. Left a perfect bloody circle. He screamed and went to jumping around, and I damn near pissed myself laughing.
    That there's funny. I honestly had no idea what the adjective surreptitiously means. I learned a new word today.

Quote Originally Posted by MDman View Post
    If he would have been in church that morning, the spawn of Satan wouldn’t have bit him, just sayin.....

24607EC6-FB0D-4D3D-9F7B-BB58CCE3F49C.jpeg
    Can't lie, I thought the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft