Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you hunt?

Tradition
    Comraderie
    For the occasions when I get lucky that make the days that I didn’t seem worth it.
    For creating memories that my friends and I can reflect on when we are one day too old to make more.
    The opportunity to give my kids a taste of what it was like when I was a kid
    Tasty quarry
    Someday getting even with Lynchmob
    So I can maintain an attachment to my ancestors and their land
    Hanging out with Duckbuster68 and Candor and laughing all day long
    These days, just being able to enjoy the peace and solitude at dawn and dusk

I also hunt because the biggest one I have ever shot is still out there

I hunt for the same reason I fish, to catch and kill for food, not because I have to, it's because I want to. Folks say we have grocery stores for fish and meat so why hunt and fish? The same question could be asked: Why do you grow a garden? There is satisfaction working the land, weeding, planting and growing your own vegetables. The same goes for preparing for the hunt. There is also satisfaction in sharing fresh grown vegetables when you have an abundance, I do the same with fresh caught fish / wild game.

To see another sunrise or sunset is a bonus but my goal is to catch and kill. During the off season, I do what I can to put the resource back and am constantly preparing for another Fall / Winter wild game harvest.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I don't know how not to. I've always done it. I turkey hunted in Maine last Saturday and have looked at 10+ places to take turkey trips for next year. I have had conversations about sunflowers, chufa planting, and deer food plots this week. I am taking my kids to my lease this afternoon to fish, but it is more about looking for poults. North Dakota will be here before you know it.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Hunter gotta hunt

It's the one thing in my life that I have this constant desire to keep doing, learning, and improving on. From my early years of shooting sparrows and blackbirds with a Daisy BB gun on the farm, to hunting with bows and arrows only, I am always looking forward to that next hunt or what's over that next ridge. Spent so many great times with my grandad, dad, my boys, and good friends over the years. When I was young, it was all about the kill and how many I got. Now at 56, I can sit for hours in the stand and just watch. That peace and quiet time is good for my soul.

Now with my first grandson approaching one year old. I am getting reenergized. There is so much I want to teach him and show him. Can't wait to spend time in the woods with my little buddy.

And for any of yall that have never spent time in duck blind with Labluver, hell that is an experice you will never forget. Good friends and good times, that is what it's all about.
    E T

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Because I have't found the last blackduck.Yet...
    You btter find him before I do
    80-20 Genaration

The same reason men still prefer doggy style. It's our primal nature- the way God created us.
    Carolina Counsel

It's fun.

I’m just not happy if I’m not hunting something.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    The same reason men still prefer doggy style. It's our primal nature- the way God created us.
    Well said counselor.
    DILLIGAF

To get away from my wife. Joking of course.

To quote JJ Grey about being in the swamp "Some people say I go to the swamp to escape reality and I tell them nah man, you got it wrong. I go to the swamp to get back to reality"

Forget this day to day rat race we live in. Offshore and in the woods (most of the time) are the two places my cell phone doesn't work. Do you know how peaceful that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Well put. Well put.

Where else am I going to wear my camo outfits?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Ted Nugent said it best. "You can't grill it 'til you kill it, and anybody that doesn't like that can eat shit and die."

It’s what I do. Being outside, with my dogs, with family and friends, walking to the next point. I am doing something involving some aspect of the hunt every day. My wife barely tolerates me now at times. If I gave up hunting, she might be forced to shoot me.

Because critters need killing and it makes liberals uncomfortable unless they're hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I believe by God's design man is a natural born hunter
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Jtemp71 View Post
    I like pulling the trigger and setting the hook to be honest and the food it provides.We eat wild game at least 5 nights a week. Tonight meal is my wife favorite bacon wrapped cube steak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Got a recipe that you don't mind sharing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Colin4; 06-09-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Because it makes my sticker peck out...

C9F7CF83-154B-43B0-A003-33446E9C65EB.jpg
    Last edited by PBiz; 06-09-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213