Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you hunt?

Default Why do you hunt?

Why do you hunt? What's the point? Why don't you spend your time and money on something else?

Judging from what I’ve read on here, passion. Pure passion.

No but really, sitting on the side of the river listening to the woods wake up is all the reason I need.

Because I have't found the last blackduck.Yet...

Great question. I heard someone trying to explain this the other day and it was interesting question. It's hard to explain to someone that doesn't hunt.

For me the older I get, the less it becomes about the kill and more about the time in nature. I'm ok with knowing that I could have killed an animal, but decided to give them a pass until another day. Nature is an amazing place. And a morning in the woods or a sunset on the water is therapy for my soul. My kids have helped to change my outlook on it too. I love to teach and expose them to it. It's awesome to watch them see something for the first time.

Don't get me wrong there is a primal instinct in me that is fed by spending time as a hunter and knowing where the meat came from that I am eating. But it's not just about numbers or trophies for me. I would say I get as much joy in bettering the habitat and preparing for hunts as I do on the actual hunt.

I believe by God's design man is a natural born hunter
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Great question. I heard someone trying to explain this the other day and it was interesting question. It's hard to explain to someone that doesn't hunt.

For me the older I get, the less it becomes about the kill and more about the time in nature. I'm ok with knowing that I could have killed an animal, but decided to give them a pass until another day. Nature is an amazing place. And a morning in the woods or a sunset on the water is therapy for my soul. My kids have helped to change my outlook on it too. I love to teach and expose them to it. It's awesome to watch them see something for the first time.

Don't get me wrong there is a primal instinct in me that is fed by spending time as a hunter and knowing where the meat came from that I am eating. But it's not just about numbers or trophies for me. I would say I get as much joy in bettering the habitat and preparing for hunts as I do on the actual hunt.
    Well Said! I cant wait to take my child hunting and fishing.

i cant answer your question......but, I was talking to my brother the other day about diet. He is very involved in "lifestyle medicine" and espouses a vegetarian diet. I really was listening as he was rambling on....but then I told him "my desire to hunt and fish FAR outweighs my desire to live forever, so until you come up with a diet that includes the things I kill, we might as well end this discussion."

I feel healthier already....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I like to kill animals. You gotta hunt to do that.

Peace, solitude and relaxation.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I fish and hunt exclusively to eat.
    I like cutting out the middleman and saving money.
    It’s a family tradition and I enjoy self reliance.
    Btw, you won't hear me apologize often, so you may want to put that in your sigfile. ~Mergie

well, what I erased was funny...

I dont hunt for food. if I did, I wouldnt give away ducks/doves/meat after a hunt. So, that cant be it.

I dont hunt for nature or I'd stop to smell the roses.

I guess I agree with rabbitturd. I hunt because I'm breathing.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-07-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I hunt not because I want to but because I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I believe by God's design man is a natural born hunter
    ^^This^^ I am a red-blooded American man. Hunting is in my DNA. Plus, there is nothing, I mean nothing, like sitting in a river swamp at daylight, in the spring.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I hunt not because I want to but because I have to.
    That's actually the best way I could describe it. I can't just wake up one day and decide to quit hunting, it's something I have to do.
    Last edited by Coastal Woodie; 06-07-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I like to kill animals. You gotta hunt to do that.
    Bingo.

Ive had to explain this a couple of times in my line of work, and its pretty simple for me. I HAVE TO HUNT!!! I go through withdrawals if I'm not out there hunting and fishing. I like to eat what I caught or killed, but the experiences you can have while out in the field are pretty special and hard to explain to people who don't get that chance in life. Some of my favorite hunts, I have never even pulled the trigger. But I do enjoy watching a dove or duck drop when I pull the trigger, its satisfying. The adrenaline rush I get when that buck is in bow range or that longbeard is shaking the ground are probably the most powerful though. The places it will take you are pretty special as well, and provide a different perspective when traveling. Ive been fortunate enough to fish from Alaska to Belize to Cabo, and hunt turkeys across the country in the spring. that's my 2 cents

I don't hunt

I think in most of us, it’s an uncontrollable, innate need.
    I know we won’t die without it, but it’s like food and water in my head
    Board Member
    Cherokee Foothills Hunting Retriever Club

It gives me a reason to keep multiple attire for four more outings, that's if you don't count saltwater or freshwater fishing.

Great question, and I agree with what some have said so far. I love time spent with old friends telling stories around the campfire. My family eats wild game of some sort a lot and they really enjoy it. The planting and seeing a great crop factors into it as well. Watching my kids helping with cleaning game, planting, and having any sort of great hunt as well as their friends is a big part of it. Great dog work and going to bed at night with the sound of a stellar pack of dogs doing work ringing in my ears is a big part of it. So many reasons, the joy of seeing a monster buck fold up or running dead after a perfectly placed arrow and seeing him pile up. Watching my dad and my son recount great hunts. Watching old buddies muff the shot on boss Toms and the look of horror they have when the smoke clears. Watching the reaction when someone kills their first turkey. I still like to pull the trigger plenty but the older I get, it's more about time together with people you enjoy.