Thread: Nesting Boxes need checking!

Default Nesting Boxes need checking!

Hens are still at it! Clean those boxes out. Hens seem to be working overtime.
    I'm up over 200 hatched. Not a great hatch season but I hope it puts a bird or two in front of a youngsters gun this Fall.

No telling how many ducklings have hatched in this 20 year old cypress box. I thought the scratch marks were pretty cool. We put a new predator guard on this box 2 years ago and it's still cranking out ducklings.

Dump box. I had one hen hatch 21 out of a dump box so far this Spring. Unfortunately I'm sure bass, turtles and herons ate most of them.

Last edited by cajunwannabe; 06-06-2018 at 05:56 AM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Pretty cool.

What is your program for wood duck boxes? I normally just clean and add new Ceder chips to mine right after duck season and try to avoid them during nesting season. Do you re-clean during nesting season?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I check them once a month and clean them out and add clean cedar shavings during the Spring nesting season. I've had up to 3 hatches out of a box in one season.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

image.jpg

This box is one of 1/2dozen or so in a 27acre pond.
    Check them every year and this is the only box that gets used
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I got a hen still sitting on about ten eggs in my backyard pond.

Paul if you want to ride I'll be going again tomorrow. I've counted 87 eggs across 30 plus I have done. Still a ton more to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I got a extra box if you find one that needs replacing.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I'll stop by tomorrow Jody
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Shoot me a text. 463-4663