Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey with a rifle?

Default Turkey with a rifle?

So I’ve been thinking about the convo on my Rio thread, and I started thinking about what it would be like to actually use a .17 for turkey hunting out here. At first, I completely shunned the idea, but after thinking about it, I realized the only part about it I don’t like is the fact you can, if you choose to do so, shoot one at a very long distance without ever really working the bird. That said, to each his own, and if someone wants to do that where it’s legal...go for it; I’ve ambushed a turkey before, so if it’s legal and floats your boat, who am I to say don’t do it.

But at this point, I personally enjoy the dance. I want to hear them gobble and communicate with me, but most of all I want to fool them...that cranks my scooter. So I worked that Wyoming Rio away from his hen and had him gobbling like mad, and I got him to strut into 82 yards. That, I feel, was a pretty good feat considering terrain and such. I took a long shot and very well may have gotten lucky with the kill. So, what if I had been using a .17? That, to me, would have still been just as awesome an experience, but the shot and kill or miss would have involved no luck; it would have been a clean head-shot kill or a clean miss.

On future hunts out here, if I were to call them closer, using a .17 be more difficult from 45 in, as the precision factor would need to be much greater. There would be no swinging and shooting of a bird that snuck in close and busted you over the shoulder. There would be the added element of having to really calm the adrenaline before the shot etc. There would be the added element of having to pass shots that did not have short-distance, solid backstops where that bullet could travel any unwanted distance past the bird. Heck, it seems like it would be an added challenge in every way other than having to get the bird to 50 or closer.

So, if you didn’t intend to Hill-crawl and ambush a turkey from 100 yards out, and you only shot turkeys that you were able to call in, what’s your opinion on using a .17 or .22 turkey hunting where it’s legal?
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

turkeys were made to be killed with shotguns.

So you're saying you killed a turkey a 82 yards with a shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    So you're saying you killed a turkey a 82 yards with a shotgun?
    Yeah and not many people gave him to much shit about it. I assume hes "in" around here.

I killed a couple with a rifle in Texas many years ago during deer season. Also killed one quail hunting with 7 1/2 shot out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    turkeys were made to be killed with shotguns.
    This.

And I totally missed that you shot that turkey at 82 yards in the original post. Whoa

if it's legal...do whatever floats your boat.

not sure there's much difference with a souped up 12ga with nitro loads
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Bishop Bullwinkle got a message for anyone claiming they killed a gobbler at 82 yards...

LOL @ Rabbitman
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

What's Bishop's message?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Not for me, rifles sort of taboo for turkeys since outlawed in SC in the 80s so I've never even considered using one. You can do some damage to various nuisance critters with a .22 rifle with a mil dot reticle though and I find enjoyment in that. Kentucky windage makes it a fun challenge.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

You haven't turkey hunted until you take down a gobbler in the fall at 920 yards with a 6.5
    Last edited by murraywader; 06-05-2018 at 02:56 PM.

I would shoot the s*** out of a turkey with a rifle.

Would you use a trumpet though?

Trying to throw you a rope.....

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Are we talking during turkey season?

In or out of a truck or deer stand?

These factors could change things up a lot.

I was told the best way to kill turkeys is to limb line them with corn. The challenge is hitting them in the head with a 9 iron to make them quit flapping.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

The only thing I know about a trumpet is that Louis Armstrong was pretty badass.

Close enough. I would like to add that I chased down and killed a chipmunk a couple weeks ago with my ball cap and just added a field mouse to the list this morning. Not sure what sort of slam that is but I am working toward a multi species list.