Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turkey with a rifle?

I saw a guy smoke a hen turkey one day with a 30-30 Contender. Hell of a shot.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    When I was 13 my dad got laid off from the Uniroyal tire plant. As a kid mom and dad kept the serious talk from us so as far as I was concerned it was business as usual around the house. Dad went to work doing handyman stuff and odd jobs for people to help make ends meet. I had no concept of money at the time but according to my parents things were pretty damn bleak. I got kind of an idea of how serious things were when dad kept me home from school one day to go hunting. This wasn't a father son bonding moment. We needed meat and killing was our mission. My only instruction in the pre-dawn darkness was "Kill anything edible you can" and legalities were not discussed.

Daylight broke and the first critter to make an appearance was an average 8 point buck. Click, boom and down goes Frazier. I knew the general direction my dad had headed so I went that way to try and find him and let him know we had meat on the ground. In the process of making my way to him I busted a drove of turkeys and they took off running and flying into the trees and parts unknown. When the oak leaves settled I saw a lone turkey on a limb about 75 yards out. Braced against a white oak, I settled the crosshairs of my Naught Six at the base of the neck and squeezed off 180 grain core lokt. That turkey dropped like a sack of wet hair and I had successfully cut her, yes HER, throat with that round. Luck? Maybe but I hit where I was aiming.

Dad finally found me and we started making our way back to the truck. He was cool with the buck, a little uneasy about the turkey, scuse me, HEN turkey but figured we'd be okay. On the walk back to the truck I had to take a leak so I peeled off the pasture road a few yards and in mid stream saw two does (it was deer season but it weren't doe season) eating honey suckle on and old fence row just over the hill. I holstered one weapon, grabbed my other and click, boom down goes sally. Sally II stood there wondering what happened to her buddy right up until her lights went out too.

Dad; "What are you shooting at?!" Deer. Duh.

4 dead critters. One legal. And one head shot on a hen turkey with a rifle.

We had food for a good while but I can guarantee you that you couldn't have put a sewing needle up my dad's butt on that ride home he was so tense and nervous.

Morals of the story: Don't tell me to "rise, kill and eat" unless you damn well mean it. And when necessary I will limb whoop a turkey, hen or gobbler, with any available weapon.

So. Will I shoot a turkey with a rifle? You bet if I need to and won't give y'all's moral compass a moments thought.
    I have always liked you...but this shit is the heat.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

The killing part
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Read stories of guys roost shooting rios in Texas. Serious carnage
    Last edited by Highcotton; 06-05-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Morals of the story: Don't tell me to "rise, kill and eat" unless you damn well mean it.

The reason rifles were outlawed in SC was because folks were getting shot and killed. Period. Have lived long enough to remember when it was happening. You want to rifle shoot a turkey now to survive then you go right ahead.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Can we bring T-radorion home now or what?
    I reckon we'd have to disguise him somehow. It's time.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.