Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What a damn shame

Default What a damn shame

https://charlestonbusiness.com/news/aerospace/74560/

Boeing S.C. flight line workers vote to unionize

The flight readiness technicians and inspectors at Boeing South Carolina voted in favor of unionization today.

With a vote of 104 to 65 in favor, the group of 176 flight line workers in North Charleston will be unionized, according to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

South Carolina is a right-to-work state, meaning employees in a unionized group are represented whether they choose to pay dues or not. The rest of the roughly 7,000 Boeing S.C. workers will not be unionized.

Boeing has said unionization is not in the best interest of its employees, while the union promises better benefits.

The union filed for the election in March, hoping to unionize the flight line workers that prepare the 787 Dreamliners for customer delivery. The IAM said workers approached the union with serious concerns about management decisions regarding overtime, bonuses and work rules.

"This election was never just about wages," Mike Evans, the union's lead organizer in South Carolina, said in a news release. "The men and women wanted dignity and consistency in the workplace. And this vote put them closer to achieving those goals. We hope Boeing does the right thing by agreeing to sit down and negotiate in good faith with the dedicated Flight Readiness Technicians."

The National Labor Relations Board approved the election earlier this month. Boeing fought to appeal the election and unionization. Boeing said it will now appeal the results of the election.

"Boeing continues to believe that this type of micro-unit is prohibited by federal law," the company said in a statement. "While we are deeply disappointed with the result and are appealing, we will come together as we continue to deliver on our customer commitments."

This is the third and only successful attempt in recent years to unionize some of Boeing’s North Charleston campus.

The first planned election was for production and maintenance workers in 2015, but the union canceled it a few days before it was scheduled to take place. Boeing said the move showed a lack of interest by its workforce; the union said the company had intimidated its workers from voting in favor of representation.

The second election occurred in February 2017, during which production and maintenance Boeing S.C. workers overwhelmingly voted against unionization. Seventy-four percent of eligible voters said they were not in favor of representation, and the union soon closed its office on Dorchester Road in North Charleston.

Fucking slugs.

Yankee transplants

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Yankee transplants
    correct....
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Yankee transplants
    Yankees gonna yank.

I worked for a manufacture that had union labor in Cincinnati. Those 10 employees were the worst employees we had. For years the union pushed and pushed and pushed. Finally the president of our company called a meeting with the union. They thought they were finally going to get their way. The union came in all hotshot and talked about a few things and then our president doing what he could so colorfully do shut them up. He told the union to shove it, and then he told them not only was he not negotiating, he was closing down that part of the plant so the union could go outside and tell the employees not only did they not get what they were pushing for, they were now jobless.
    Last edited by reeltight; 06-05-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Unions suck. I was forced into a union job out of high school as a bag boy. Assholes took money out of my paycheck. They wanted me to go on strike and told them to shove it. Then I went into the Marines. Will never be in a union again in this life.

Hopefully Boeing has another card to play. Not sure of the legalities but make that job part of the others job.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I hate unions. But I also have some fellow Air Force Reservists in my shop that work over there during the week and those guys are severely overworked. So much so that our guy has been trying to get on civil service at AFB at a pay cut just to get outta there.

I wish Boeing had paid more attention and could resolve it in-house without forcing these guys to unionize. Unfortunately something had to give and this is what the workers felt needed to be done to get some relief.

Hopefully the rest of the plant doesn't have the same issues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 06-05-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

If you don't like the environment you work (whatever the issues are) then find another job. It's that simple. When the company can't keep employees, they will figure it out or close their doors.

Once you open the door to Unions, you will be a hostage to the Union. Pick your poison.

Boeing didn't force anyone to unionize.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    If you don't like the environment you work (whatever the issues are) then find another job. It's that simple. When the company can't keep employees, they will figure it out or close their doors.

Once you open the door to Unions, you will be a hostage to the Union. Pick your poison.
    Yup.

Everyone said how great boeing coming to charleston was for the city. They were wrong. The growth sucks and now the stupid fucking yankees are voting for a union. Tell me with a straight face they aren't voting politically the same way. See mount pleasant.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    Yup.

Everyone said how great boeing coming to charleston was for the city. They were wrong. The growth sucks and now the stupid fucking yankees are voting for a union. Tell me with a straight face they aren't voting politically the same way. See mount pleasant.
    Preach it. Growth at all costs was the motto
    cut\'em

I've told the grumpy transmission guy up there that they are sitting on a gold mine. It's coming yalls way. Buy land.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

I read somewhere the other day that Boeing was going to fight the legalities of this. I don't know all the details, but this is just one sector/division of Boeing. The Charleston Plant, as a whole, has not voted to unionize. Just the flight line crew.

Got to have pre and post cool down breaks before morning break , the same for lunch and the same for afternoon break. Unions protect lazy ass workers, willing to give $25.00 weekly to have a job, the problem exists in Power Companies, paper mills , etc. I hope they strike and Boeing shuts the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I've told the grumpy transmission guy up there that they are sitting on a gold mine. It's coming yalls way. Buy land.
    I bought a buffer... but maybe I will sell out and leave.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Got to have pre and post cool down breaks before morning break , the same for lunch and the same for afternoon break. Unions protect lazy ass workers, willing to give $25.00 weekly to have a job, the problem exists in Power Companies, paper mills , etc. I hope they strike and Boeing shuts the doors.
    I got in union at power company when I started 11 years ago. I was 20 years old, still don’t know what it does. But as the lazy part, I’m willing to bet, I can work circles around most people on this site, in 100 degree weather.
    867-5309

I’m in the usw and willing to say I’d put my paycheck on the line and agree with relentlous and say I’d work circles around most of y’all in 100+ heat. I’ve done it since I was 18 at two different places for the same company and neither allowed breaks. You do have laziness in unions but that’s at every job I’ve been to. So not all union workers are lazy.
    Hey big man lemme hol a dollar.

Y'all aren't really union. When's the last picket line you established?