Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Islamorada June 9-16

You do realize the stream is literally right out front.... You can be out there and trolling in a matter of minutes or tied up to some buoy and chumming for yellow tails.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    You do realize the stream is literally right out front.... You can be out there and trolling in a matter of minutes or tied up to some buoy and chumming for yellow tails.
    BO.....I am planning for bad choppy seas too

This is why we can't have nice things.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Freaking UT fans I swear.......

Gimme a break...I am two generations removed from Appalachia and eating possum brains to survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre '81, We always had our best success on the " Nearshore" fishing at night off Looe Key... That changed.. now you can't wet a hook there, but man , we used to freakin kill em.. Grouper out the wazooo..

Now, it's just a great place to dive or snorkel.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Are Yellowtail on the bay side too? I know Mangrove are.
    Absolutely...read through those emails I sent you...pretty sure there was something in there about making "slop"...if not let me know and i will dig it up.

Mix the chum and a bag of oats(theres a reason they sell "horse feed" at the tackle shops) together and get your slick going in the current....don't even put a line in the water for 30-45 mins just let the chum do its thing.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 06-04-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Absolutely...read through those emails I sent you...pretty sure there was something in there about making "slop"...if not let me know and i will dig it up.

Mix the chum and a bag of oats(theres a reason they sell "horse feed" at the tackle shops) together and get your slick going in the current....don't even put a line in the water for 30-45 mins just let the chum do its thing.
    I saw one where you mentioned they were in the bay. I also read somewhere else you can basically chum any bank or structure and catch them.

FS is correct.. Oatmeal works add the oats and mash the oats/menhaden into a ball. put that in a chum bag and tie it off.. You need some current to maximize your efforts. Crack a beer and wait. Freeline your bait into the chum line. Yellowtail are not afraid to grab your bait and run. For bait, We had our best luck with pieces of Pilchards with the skin attached. Live Shrimp work too if you can find some.

If you aren't familiar with them, you can buy pre-tied Yellowtail rigs at the tackle place too. Have fun!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I saw one where you mentioned they were in the bay. I also read somewhere else you can basically chum any bank or structure and catch them.

Find the patch reefs on the bayside....they are all over the place. Cloudy water is preferred, 12-15'...invest in a top spot chart for that area and dial in your sonar. They suspend fairly high off the reef and are easy to spot on your sounder. As I explained before, you are somewhat in the middle of no mans land with the ideal places being either north or south of you. Don't hitch your wagon to just fishing by your house/dock because it is convenient. If weather permits, make the run to Sprigger Bank a couple of times...23-25 miles SW of your location by boat or about 3-4 miles NW of Long Key if you drive a few miles south. Everything there from Ceros to Mangroves/Muttons/Yellowtails, otherwise head righ out of the Hawks Channel hit the patch reef on the atlantic side and just start chumming. Bring twice as much chum as you think you need and send it out every couple of minutes.

Feel like I need to add something to this conversation so here it goes. I've got a friend with his son down there for the week. I'm all excited for him, he's a pretty affluent fisherman anyways. My son is all bugged out, because his son is my son's golfing buddy.

What about jigging the reefs/wrecks in the 100'-200' range. I have not read a lot about people doing that but these rosco jigs were magic in NC.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...7-oz--11283850
    Last edited by led0321; 06-05-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Anyone ever tried that chumming with oats and menhaden around here
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

We are checked in and ready to get started tomorrow. The weather looks good so we are going to snorkel Alligator Reef tomorrow.

I haven’t seen this mentioned yet but the best fish tacos are at Bad Boy Burrito in Islamorda.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Did you get your boat umbrella thing yet? Pics? Review?

Literally just looked at your post on the Sportsman Owners Facebook page. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    Anyone ever tried that chumming with oats and menhaden around here
    For bait? Purina tropical fish food

Tell me more about your boat umbrella. Don't recognize it. Did you choose it over some of the popular options? Hydra Shade, Magma come to mind?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by SNAP Hunter View Post
    I haven’t seen this mentioned yet but the best fish tacos are at Bad Boy Burrito in Islamorda.
    I could not agree more. Absolutely the best I have ever eaten. It's right behind the Trading Post.