Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Islamorada June 9-16

Default Islamorada June 9-16

I think I have read every thread on here about "Keys trips" and I am excited to get down there. We are taking the boat (22' bayboat) and I am flying my mom into FT Lauderdale to help with the children so the wife and I can actually fish some. I am staying at the Futura Yacht club in Plantation Key and the boat will be in a slip there for the week. I feel like I have read enough and watched enough YouTube to get the kids on some Yellowtail and hopefully the weather will allow for me to go past the reef a few times. I am reading the dolphin can be found in 400' of water but they have had a rough month so the fishing hasn't been easy. Hopefully, that changes soon.

The main goal is to get the kids out snorkeling and to catch enough Yellowtail to eat several days.

Any pointers?

we are headed there July 8-12. Can't wait!

Headed down on june 15th my self.
    For kids: snorkel at alligator reef, and john pennacamp, tarpon feed at robbies.
    For charter: check out bud and marys marina or behind islamorado fish company/bass pro shops.

For dolphin or tuna hit some of the humps 20 ish miles off shore if its nice, or find the birds and there will be schoolies under them. Weed lines and birds = fish dont waste youre time blind trolling.

Default Islamorada June 9-16

Quote Originally Posted by holdin down the fort View Post
    Headed down on june 15th my self.
    For kids: snorkel at alligator reef, and john pennacamp, tarpon feed at robbies..

It’s on the to do list for sure. My wife and I snorkeled there a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by led0321; 05-31-2018 at 11:34 AM.

We are rolling down to Marathon next Saturday as well. Wind looks perfect next week.....hopefully it continues through the following week.

We trailed the boat (24' Pursuit) down to Marathon for spring break. The fishing down there was tough, partially do to my lack of knowledge about the area. The water gets deep so fast, there aren't too many wrecks/reefs to fish in the Marathon area that aren't just covered up with boats. At least that was the case for us during that week. We trailed it down to Tavernier two years ago and the Plantation Key/Islamorada area has many many more wrecks. I believe I still have a spreadsheet somewhere with hundreds of fishing spots on it. If I can find it, I'll send it to you.

I don't know your setup, but make sure you have trailer tire spares.....yes multiple. Its a LONG trip towing a boat and you might not always be around a tire shop. We blew two tires on the way down this year. All 4 tires on the trailer were less that 2 years old. Blew one at 11:30 at night in the middle of nowhere and the other right before rush hour in Miami.

Also make sure to get a Sun Pass and get on the turn pike. Have a fun trip and catch some fish!
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by sftull View Post
    We trailed the boat (24' Pursuit) down to Marathon for spring break. The fishing down there was tough, partially do to my lack of knowledge about the area. The water gets deep so fast, there aren't too many wrecks/reefs to fish in the Marathon area that aren't just covered up with boats. At least that was the case for us during that week. We trailed it down to Tavernier two years ago and the Plantation Key/Islamorada area has many many more wrecks. I believe I still have a spreadsheet somewhere with hundreds of fishing spots on it. If I can find it, I'll send it to you.

I don't know your setup, but make sure you have trailer tire spares.....yes multiple. Its a LONG trip towing a boat and you might not always be around a tire shop. We blew two tires on the way down this year. All 4 tires on the trailer were less that 2 years old. Blew one at 11:30 at night in the middle of nowhere and the other right before rush hour in Miami.

Also make sure to get a Sun Pass and get on the turn pike. Have a fun trip and catch some fish!
    I bought one on Tuesday and mounted it yesterday. The whole setup was brand new on March 30th so I am hoping I won't have an issue. I am still nervous with just one right now.

I have a topspot map I am plugging numbers in from and I downloaded the Navionics USA map for my phone and I have been plugging numbers in from that too. That is a good deal for $9.99.
    Last edited by led0321; 05-31-2018 at 12:04 PM.

take good notes so I can plan my twins graduation trip. They want to do something like this!

oh...and have a ball, too.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

and good golly throw another spare in the boat.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

And carry a good jack to make life easier

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Following this thread would love to do the same type trip.

Quote Originally Posted by holdin down the fort View Post
    And carry a good jack to make life easier

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I will call my insurance company and let some other poor bloke get smoked my a semi while I try to stay cool about 60 yards off the interstate....

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    I will call my insurance company and let some other poor bloke get smoked my a semi while I try to stay cool about 60 yards off the interstate....
    Is your trailer a single axle?

Echoing the guys above, carry a good jack. Like a floor jack.
    Last edited by sftull; 05-31-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Is your trailer a single axle?

Echoing the guys above, carry a good jack. Like a floor jack.
    Double axle. I might have a spare tire from a different trailer that will fit. I need to check.

We found the yellowtail the hardest to catch while in Marathon. Did well with the dolphin offshore. Huge weedmats about 20 miles out.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Double axle. I might have a spare tire from a different trailer that will fit. I need to check.
    Or go buy one

Does anyone else have a comment or recommendation for my spare tire issue?

Last edited by led0321; 05-31-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Doesn’t anyone else have a comment or recommendation for my spare tire issue?

Grab a piece of wood to use with that jack and spare tires on a soft shoulder.

Don’t overlook fishing inshore.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Grab a piece of wood to use with that jack and spare tires on a soft shoulder.

Don’t overlook fishing inshore.

Does anyone else have a comment or recommendation for my spare tire issue?

New tire doesn’t do you any good if your hub goes out.