Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf Range Finder?

Default Golf Range Finder?

Been looking to replace my old range finder. What are you guys using? I am really intrigued by the new watches that Garmin and Bushnell have out. My only hang up on a watch is the course availability. I'm trying to find a list of the preloaded courses to see if the links in my area on it.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I've got a leupold now. It's okay. I downloaded that app golflogix a few months back just messing around, it's neat, but nothing that I really need either. A watch would bother the shit out of me. I've even gone back to playing gloveless for the last couple of weeks.

Can't go wrong with any of the Bushnells. If you're looking to go on the cheap with a laser, check out the MG Golf branded ones. They work just as well as my Bushnell for 1/4 the price.

The watch just seems easy. I like the idea of blind shots where the laser might not be able to see the flag.

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

I’m not a big fan of the watch, as it’s normally 5 or so yards off the exact number to the pin. It does help with numbers to the front, back, center, and hazards. I use a cheap range finder and it works well as Charleston doesn’t have much slope. If you play courses with the slope, I would spend the money with a Bushnell.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

I've been using a Garmin Vivoactive for 3 years now. I haven't found a course that wasn't listed on their app and that includes playing several times in the UK.

I usually play bogey golf so +/- 3 yds isn't going to make a difference in the shot I hit. Generally I've found it to be within 1-2 yards of the markers on the course. Usually somebody in my group has a rangefinder and I can count on one hand the number of times the yardage they shoot has made me change my mind on club selection.

If you're riding in a cart I think the rangefinder vs watch debate is personal preference but the watch has a significant advantage when walking. The watch keeps score and the Garmin connect app shows you all of your past scores. I wear this watch every day and have also used it to track running.

I usually just go with the 7 iron and hope for the best.

I have a garmin watch that is dedicated for golf ranges. It is accurate enough for me and my game right now. It probably is about 5 yards off but for my level of playing ability that is fine.

I'd go with Bushnell if you want a range finder. If you're worried about blind shots or lay up distances, download the app "18 birdies". It's a free app and has almost every course in America.

Screw a watch on my wrist while I play.
    :FYT:

Every time I see someone pull one of these out on a golf course, I want to take an iron and hit them right in the vagina.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Every time I see someone pull one of these out on a golf course, I want to take an iron and hit them right in the vagina.
    I agree.

I've played with 2 people in my short life that could hit it good enough that they knew how far they hit each club

There are plenty of yardage markers on a golf course for the average golfer to be able to have an idea of how far the pin is
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

You don’t need a range finder Joshua....I promise

Leupold GX 3i or something to that effect. I use it for hunting as well.

I have the Laser link, it works well if you are shooting pins with prisms. It is useless if you are shooting an object without the reflectors like a pond or bunker face...

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    You don’t need a range finder Joshua....I promise
    Go back to twiddling your unathletic thumbs until deer season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I've played with 2 people in my short life that could hit it good enough that they knew how far they hit each club

There are plenty of yardage markers on a golf course for the average golfer to be able to have an idea of how far the pin is
    While I agree as far as pins go. Its nice to know hazards, front, and back of green distances.

Then download 18 birdies. It tells you distances to hazards, bunkers, front, middle, and back of greens, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ECUPirate View Post
    Then download 18 birdies. It tells you distances to hazards, bunkers, front, middle, and back of greens, etc.
    Just did. Thanks

Holy Crap! ECU that app is really cool!