Thread: Tohatsu / Yamaha tiller handle upgrade

Default Tohatsu / Yamaha tiller handle upgrade

Can a new style Yamaha tiller handle be installed on a 90's Tohatsu M40D? What fitting kit would be best?

Quote Originally Posted by SLM View Post
    Can a new style Yamaha tiller handle be installed on a 90's Tohatsu M40D? What fitting kit would be best?
    Unless you can find someone who's done this before this will be 100% custom. You be best of to make some real good friends at your local Yamaha dealer and pray they have a solid stock of cables on the shelf and just try ones till you find the right length.

To advance the throttle on your Tohatsu is it push or pull?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I'd be more concerned with the first step... To make sure the Yamaha tiller handle will bolt up to the Tohatsu and clear the lower cowl.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

It is a push to advance. I don't mind doing some custom work. I just want to get as close as possible before starting. I probably need to check out another motor to see how it mounts. Sold my F50 a couple of years ago. Never looked that close at how it mounted but I enjoyed the new style tiller. I like the location of the tilt/trim on the Yamaha tiller but I wouldn't mind using another brand if it was a better fit for my motor.

Tohatsu has a multi function tiller. I would assume that like the Yamaha it's backwards compatible with the older 2 strokes but I have no clue. I've never messed with em.

http://www.tohatsu.co.uk/accessories...su-tiller.html

Last edited by willyworm; 05-28-2018 at 07:48 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Image-2.jpg
    Image-1(1).jpg
    Willie there is a easy fix out there for the throttle. I had to put one of these on my 70.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

I heard those existed to convert from push to pull, but I've never seen em. I wasn't aware the conversion required parts.

Turbo has done it in the past.

Last edited by willyworm; 05-28-2018 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Typo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Where can you get those Grebe?

Last edited by willyworm; 05-28-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Where can you get those Grebe?

Kent Foreman is who had those made. When I got mine from him he said he had 4 left and didn't know if he was having anymore made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

Default Tohatsu / Yamaha tiller handle upgrade

Cuz outboards has them and a guy named Keith David. Kent charges twice the money for them.

And both tillers will fit

Last edited by Gone South; 05-28-2018 at 10:04 AM.

I can hit up Cuz about it since I bought my outfit from him but I was hoping to just get everything local or online. The Tohatsu handles seem to be more expensive online than the Yamaha handle. Thanks for all the help. I will stop and get a better look at how it mounts to the motor next time I get a chance.