Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ductless AC

Default Ductless AC

Does anyone have any experience with these? Difficult to install? My living room gets hot as hell during the summer thanks to 2 large windows, a sliding glass door, and a vaulted ceiling with very little space between the ceiling and the roof. I am trying to find something to help keep it cool. the AC runs all day and cant keep up in the hot summer months until the sun goes down. I am open to any ideas. Let's hear them.

Ceiling fan. Seriously though not a hole lot to the ductless system. Pretty easy diy stuff unless your line-set is to long and you require more refrigerant.

There is a member on here who is very knowledgeable. Can’t remember if he just sells them or actually works for the manufacturer. I’m sure he’ll be along after a while. Pretty sure he’s in the Greenville area.
    Last edited by reeltight; 05-26-2018 at 04:05 PM.

They are pretty easy to install. There are many different styles of indoor units to accomodate different installation requirements. I would suggest sticking to one of the Japanese manufactured brands vs some of the Korean or Chinese stuff.

If you want an easy install, be sure whatever brand you buy has an accumulator. I know the LGs do and are precharged for any length lineset up to 60'. Then it's just a matter of running power and communication wire.

Are you talking about what I refer to as a "split unit"?
    If so, I have seen the Mitsubishi in use and they are very nice.

Samsung mini split
    Non Supporting Member

No problem to install yourself just leak test and pull a vacuum or have someone do it. BJ

Looking at something similar. We have vaulted ceiling with sliding door. Our AC finally took a dump and we have to replace the unit along with coil in attic. Thought about putting an attic fan in to help with the duct work in the attic but since the AC is being replaced might wait for it for another day.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

A window unit is where it’s at!

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    A window unit is where it’s at!
    I love a window unit! But the windows in the room don't open so they wont work. Nothing like one hanging on the backside of the house.

I just ordered this on Amazon. Senville 9000 BTU Mini Split ‑ Leto Series (SEER 15) GTWM001 . I know a guy who installed one in his office in his auto shop a year ago and it has run flawlessly both heating and cooling. According to him, if you have even the slightest mechanical skills and can read you can install yourself. His father-in-law even offered to pull the vacuum for me . That was my only concern. Finding someone to do that might be your only hiccup

Quote Originally Posted by tsigmon View Post
    I just ordered this on Amazon. Senville 9000 BTU Mini Split ‑ Leto Series (SEER 15) GTWM001 . I know a guy who installed one in his office in his auto shop a year ago and it has run flawlessly both heating and cooling. According to him, if you have even the slightest mechanical skills and can read you can install yourself. His father-in-law even offered to pull the vacuum for me . That was my only concern. Finding someone to do that might be your only hiccup
    That's the best price I have seen on one but it says it wont ship until July 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    I love a window unit! But the windows in the room don't open so they wont work. Nothing like one hanging on the backside of the house.
    Call A2Z he should be able to fix it. He was able to get the third door on the bad ass ford to open, so the back seat could be sat in.

My whole house is run with them. Got 6 in a 2500 sq ft house. Power bill averages 150 a month over the course of the year. I like them.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Difficult to install? My living room gets hot as hell during the summer thanks to 2 large windows, a sliding glass door, and a vaulted ceiling with very little space between the ceiling and the roof. I am trying to find something to help keep it cool. the AC runs all day and cant keep up in the hot summer months until the sun goes down. I am open to any ideas. Let's hear them.
    How is the air flow to the living room vents? Does it seem adequate? Wondering if baffles would help direct more flow to that room to help. One thing I did when I had to replace my split unit with a central unit was to have the fan speed wired to the high setting because I had flow problems to one end of my house. Made all the difference in the world. Also look into having some tint installed on the windows/slider.

That's the best price I have seen on one but it says it wont ship until July 1st.
    Yep, building a seperate room for all my stuff so it'll get here by the time I need it.

I have a Daikin in my detached workshop that works great. Heat pump so it cools and heats.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    How is the air flow to the living room vents? Does it seem adequate? Wondering if baffles would help direct more flow to that room to help. One thing I did when I had to replace my split unit with a central unit was to have the fan speed wired to the high setting because I had flow problems to one end of my house. Made all the difference in the world. Also look into having some tint installed on the windows/slider.
    The air flow is good. And I have even put foam insulating board on the two large windows and the sliding glass door. It helps some but I think the bigger problem is the ceiling. There is very little room between the roof and ceiling. No way I can get any additional insulation in there. On cloudy or rainy days the AC works fine. When the sun is out and its 90 degrees not counting the heat index the ac unit runs 10-12 hours nonstop. The temp in the room will be 5 degrees warmer than what the thermostat is set.

Gotcha. Only other thing I'll add is with your vaulted ceiling, if the foam baffles weren't installed between the rafters before insulating (or not installed correctly), you are losing airflow to your ridge vent.

FYI I placed my order May 25 and it got here last Thursday, the 25th. I wasn't expecting it until July 6.