Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tilt/Trim Help

Default Tilt/Trim Help

I'm replacing the o-rings/seals on a 2002 90TLRA unit. By the schematic on boats.net I don't see the inner o-ring inside the trim caps listed. Anybody have the part number for this? For that matter, has anyone done this and have the list of part #'s? Seals have let water/air into the reservoir and I'm tired of fighting with it. Thanks

I'm not in front my computer to answer the part number question, but the parts breakdown is on Yamahaoutboards.com. Click maintenance, then parts. If it ain't on that drawing it doesn't exist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-25-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I think there's a rebuild kit that has all the rings and seals in it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Part #60 what you're looking for?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I'm not in front my computer to answer the part number question, but the parts breakdown is on Yamahaoutboards.com. Click maintenance, then parts. If it ain't on that drawing it doesn't exist.

I knew you'd be the one to respond. That's the same as I found on boats.net. The o-ring in question does exist (watched a youtube video where the guy removed/replaced it) but isn't shown on any site I've found. It's pissing me off. I don't want to have to buy new caps to get the o-ring. That's absurd. I found a kit on ebay, but who knows what all it contains. Guess I can try to contact the seller, or even Yamaha if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Part #60 what you're looking for?

Pretty sure #60 is the external o-ring for the cap to seat to the cylinder housing. I need the internal one that seals against the piston shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    I knew you'd be the one to respond.
    Then why didn't you just save the bandwidth and text me?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So looks like you need 65 then. Looks like 64 is an assembly that contains all 5 parts.

Last edited by willyworm; 05-25-2018 at 08:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think those are the o-ring and Teflon split backer ring that go in the external groove of the piston. Pulling what's left of my hair out.

I know a friend that is a expert at Hydrulics that can fix it. Just saying
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I know a friend that is a expert at Hydrulics that can fix it. Just saying
    Hey Jody, please text me your friends number if you don't mind. 803-463-4663.

I have a tilt n trim on a 50 hp Johnson leaking out the top. I'm thinking it's an easy fix but after seeing what Triplebeard is dealing with I might outsource the repair. Give your bride a big hug for me too please.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Cajun, I’ve changed the seal on Johnson 50 before, they’re very easy. I e got the part # for the seal kit if you need

Buy the kit. I've been the Oring route before.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PM to you Paul T
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

That's a 2002 motor, check another year. When I rebuilt my 98 40hp trim unit I found the parts, o ring and wiper in the 50hp 2003 motor.

Here you go, 2003 90hp Trim unit parts listing has all your parts, some reason the site is blocking pasting url. I order all the parts from Surdkye Yamaha, they have the best prices.
    Last edited by Civil-Cock; 05-29-2018 at 04:40 PM.

O-ring cord, baking soda, super glue.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    O-ring cord, baking soda, super glue.
    This Man knows what to do with a older trim unit

Bought the rebuild kit and got it in the mail the other day. Made a cap wrench out of 1/4" plate and drilled/tapped out for the studs that lock into the cap. First time I used it one of the damned studs broke off. Anybody have one of these wrenches around Lexington/Columbia I could borrow?

Hey grandpa

I believe I made a tool from a angle grinder desk wrench and welded some screws in the holes or hit the cap with a punch in one of the holes. It will mess up the hole some but not bad nothing that cannot be fixed with a sanding desk.